Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was a little worried I would have to have the entire transmission replaced in the next year or so because of what this car does when it is cold. Going from 2nd to 3rd gear I get some pretty decent and unmistakable flare. But, after going through the forum posts last night, much to my relief I have come to find this is a rather common problem and a pretty easy fix on this car. You buy a K1 2/3 repair kit for $10 from Mercedes and do the repair when you change your trans fluid and filter by taking out a section of the valve body. I have the webpage with the write up. But this site won't let me post it here so just email me for it and I will give it to you. I was elated and relieved when I found this information. This will save me thousands of dollars and help delay the inevitable by possibly 3 years. For those interested, the post is here, at least one of them: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1361737-diy-mercedes-722-3-722-4-a.html

Has anyone ever done this? What were your results?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
"Taking out a section of the valve body..."

Just reading this gives me the heebie-jeebies! I've had an automatic's valve body out and disassembled one time in the past, before digital cameras, and it freaked me out how easy it was to put things back incorrectly.

That's not to say, "don't do it"...not at all, in fact. Just have someone handy to jot-down/remember stuff/take pictures and/or chase things if they fall.

Not only did mine go back together just fine the first time, but I fixed the flare between shifts on a '94 Grand Cherokee V-8, which was my goal. I was jump-for-joy happy, but my wife said she wishes I could have seen the look on my face when I got the valve body into the light and saw a maze with ball bearings in it....

I'm a pretty hard-core gearhead, and most automotive items make perfect sense to me, but I'm very impressed automatic transmissions work the way they do. I'm impressed, though in a different way, that drum brakes not only work, but are still around.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"Taking out a section of the valve body..."

Just reading this gives me the heebie-jeebies! I've had an automatic's valve body out and disassembled one time in the past, before digital cameras, and it freaked me out how easy it was to put things back incorrectly.

That's not to say, "don't do it"...not at all, in fact. Just have someone handy to jot-down/remember stuff/take pictures and/or chase things if they fall.
Oh, I am king of the camera when it comes to pre/post operations. I refuse to do anything mechanical/electrical without taking dig. pic first, several. Why risk it? It's tough enough as it is. There are pictures posted on this procedure and it is very helpful. Even though on a different Merc, it is the same transmission http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/Hattenatorspics/k1kit3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1361737-diy-mercedes-722-3-722-4-a.html&usg=__S7-m8JhpIbC5T8G0tHUpSJzYBo4=&h=448&w=600&sz=85&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=0bQqMywWNwvhmM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images?q=w124+valve+body+and+transmission+and+k-1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G&um=1

Unfortunately, for the chap above with the reverse issue...sorry mate, the B2 piston needs replacing and on that, you need to drop the entire transmission according to the posts I have read on this forum, can any of you confirm that? Worth it though IMHO.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The B2 piston requires transmission removal...some of us are in the same boat, carefully seeking properly-sloping parking spaces, or doing the utmost to get one which requires -0- use of reverse.

Mine still works, if you're patient enough and don't let the clutch chatter bug you too much. It's still painful to feel, though.

·
Registered
676 Posts
just got it recently as well... krap... i was really hoping to avoid this but apparently it needs a new transmission i just have to replace it with one rebuilt "properly".... i also read somewhere if its slow to go into reverse the transmission is also bad? mine goes into revers in about 2 seconds...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts