Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
C140 W140 C126 W201 W116 W210 W163 W251 R129 R170 928S 944S GTV6
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Haven't been posting a lot lately, but thats because I was working a lot on the car! Just wanted to post a quick update - cosmetically I'd say I am about 95% there now, aside from a few small things here and there, mechanically there are a few gremlins I am still chasing, but nothing major (rear passenger side window regulator e.g.). Interior is also almost there as well, just trying to hunt down a few tiny bits and pieces that are broke/missing. Don't get me wrong, the car was in pretty good shape to begin with, but I am a a little bit of a nut when it comes to those things. Really happy with the wheels now as well - the all black AMG's were just a little too black ;-) Went for a drive this weekend before putting the car away for the winter and snapped a few pics...enjoy!

--Zax

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
Marcus!!!

Car looks great!!! I suppose you had the rear 1/4 panel all fixed?
Should be all good and ready for the Spring NE meet, Stryker will be there too!

Totally badass :)

·
Registered
93 500 sel - 95 s500
612 Posts
BRAVO BRAVO! The second picture has to be one of the best C140 shots I have ever seen. Really shows the lines of hood and 3/4 panel! Beautiful!!

Could you share where you acquired the german front plate? Also what did you do with the black AMG's?

Kevin

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,667 Posts
can you post the before pics if you have em? nice ride. almost back to its perfect condition

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
I must say the Car looks Nice ,there is something different about it ,what is it ,either the Rims or the front grill i dont know :confused: but YES awesome looking Coupe ,i like it .
Congrats and Keep it up .:goojob:
Ciao :thumbsup:
You lucky you are overseas to far for me to Purchase otherwise i let you finish it and then i make you an offer you cant refuse,lol .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your comments. It's been a lot of time, sweat and yea, some money as well...but as my wife always says, it's all worth it when she sees that wide, dumb grin on my face whenever I look at the car now :p

Andrew: Yes, the body got a once over from one of the most skilled body guys I've ever met. The man is an artist, his shop well known, and I had the pleasure of watching him on a few occasions while he was working on it. Car was pretty much disassembled and done over, all panels/gaps adjusted, all little dings eliminated, new hood (PO seemed to have enjoyed sitting on it :/). He also took care of the rear quarter panel as you saw. Full paint job in OE paint, glossy like a silent lake. I am very happy how it came out. Still looking for a new front bumper. The old one is very nice looking for now, compared to what it was before, but you know how it is when you know the flaws yourself ;-) Looking forward to the next meet!!! Definitely!

Kevin: I got the German license plate on ebay from this seller. Bought lots of them from him over the years. Being German, I have those on all my vehicles ;-) I still want to get the OEM license plate holder and a nice frame to get it looking a little better. Thanks for the compliments, however, my wife is the photographer, I am just the "midnight oil mechanic".

zft325: There are some very early pics of the car somewhere on the forum, but as far as I remember they were taken with a cell phone cam, so not that great. But to give you an idea, basically the car was horribly neglected when I bought it. In it's 10 years of life before that, it was registered everywhere from FL to ND, the midwest and Canada. The last 3 years it spent in New York City, driven by a young kid that had no money to fix anything. Picked the car up half buried under snow with a flat and even though no major issues, there were a thousand small ones. But the upside was that the car was a '99, pretty much loaded, had only 60k on the clock and it was cheap, so I went into this knowing that I will probably spend 3-4 times what I paid for the car to get it where I want it. As for the wheels, I still have them. The offset is not perfect for the 140's and I would not recommend them. I had them on for quite a while, and my fenders are rolled, so it was ok, but stock it's a no-go. I will probably sell them or trade them for some nice 16" wheels for my W201 track car project.

merc s500: Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's nice to hear when you put lots of time into a project. As for buying it...no way...it's part of the collection now, no matter how good the offer is ;-) Well, unless it gets into frivolous dimensions, at which point even my wife (who is wonderful with my car-addiction) would probably ask me if I am alright in the head for not accepting the offer *laughs*
Not sure what makes it so different, but I agree, it could be the grille and the wheels. I think they have given the car some very subtle but distinct (IMHO) enhancements of an already beautiful design.

Thanks again all - Winter is coming, meaning I should be a little more active again here ;-)

--Zax

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
I don't know what the original wheels looked like, but those are perfect. A nice balance. There is plenty of space between the spokes which contributes a lot of black space that blends well with the body, and just enough silver color to go with the horizontal chrome body strips.

For some reason, I think too much "brightness" in the wheels just doesn't balance well. That's why I bought the black-background center wheel caps. The original ones were flaking badly (when I bought the car), and the dealer parts guy just happened to mention "we have these blacks one that just came in." Sold me straightaway. The caps that have the MB name with blue background do look nice, but kinda overkill after I thought about it. I've seen them on a few 140's and other models, and they might go better if the car were the same blue.

I've always liked the idea that MB only has their name in one spot on the entire outside (BMW and Audi kind of similar) unlike the US brands. I know it's an MB without all the names, and so does everyone else.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The original wheels were actually the same exact ones that are in your little avatar pictures. As a matter of fact, they are now on my wife's car sporting her snow tires ;-)

The rims on the car now are actually a gunmetal/polished aluminum combo, and the center caps are black/chrome, which at first I thought may look a little off and was about to order gunmetal ones, but once they were on the car it looked pretty much perfect.

I agree with the minimalistic approach to badges on the car, etc. - As you can see, I did not even put the model designation back on the trunk lid yet, and I am not sure if I ever will. I bought a brand new set, but I kind of like it without.

--Zax

1 - 9 of 9 Posts