Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
03' SLK230-Sold, 05' C320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I solidify the bet my husband wants to make with me, I have to know the answer to this question. How many miles can we squeeze out of a full tank of gas? If I drive "normal" I can usually go about 230 miles on a full tank - no a/c 75-80 on the freeway etc. When I told my husband this he laughed and said he bets he could go at least 300 miles on a full tank in my car. He wants to trade cars for a week so he can prove that I drive with a "lead foot". How many miles can we go on a tank if we were to drive like we didn't really have anywhere to go?? I have to think of something really good to bet him too :)
Thanks for your help guys!~
Wendy [:X]

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Well, we went to New Orleans over spring break and ran the way down topless....ran between 85 and 90 and got 27.5 mpg into a very slight headwind. Slowing to 55 on pumped up tires, clean and waxed car,no air, top up, and accelerating like there is a raw egg between your foot and the pedal....30 mpg is probably do-able.

Good luck on the bet [:D]

Regards

Max

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
i usually drive 65, cruise set. sometimes top up/sometimes down and i get 35 mpg. usually when i fill up i still have 1/4 tank left and i've driven about 320 miles.[^]

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
I can get between 260 - 280 out of a tank, but that's normally filling up as soon as the yellow warning light comes on!!

This includes a mix of interstate driving (average 80mph), and a lot of in town driving (average speed of a snail!!! [V])

Good luck with the bet - would love to hear how you get on!!! [8D]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I was getting close to 300miles on a full tank. I think I was able to do about 430-440km's, so that's like 280 or 290miles.

This did include some city driving, but also a lot of highway.

Use the limiter, and you'll save gas because the car will keep your speed constant. A bit boring tho'.

·
Registered
SLK 230 (now gone), SLK 350 Facelift
78 Posts
Have had 375 miles out of a tank full on my 230 before chickening out - almost all highway driving and keeping below 82mph and using cruise. Air was on, top up, two people and full boot (trunk....) and only squeezed 54 litres into the supposedly 60 litre tank so perhaps 400 miles could be boringly achieved.

An interesting if ultimately pointless exercise - why have an SLK (or any similar motor) and worry about fuel consumption (especially in the colonies......).

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Not a daily driver, but I filled up last week, have use 1/4 tank and have put on 80 miles (80x4=320). The reserve light comes on with 2.1 gal left per the manual. So if you fill up when the fule light is lit it would be before the 300 mile mark.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
People, People, People you are missing a very important point in the original post and failing to ask a key question. What does the winner of the bet get?

I am a little concerned if I get more than ~205 miles before my fuel light comes on. The reason for my concern is the adaptive transmission. I would hate for it to learn while I am driving like a granny. Of course I have an SLK32 so it is comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
430 - 4/20/2005 8:16 AM

People, People, People you are missing a very important point in the original post and failing to ask a key question. What does the winner of the bet get?
I was gonna ask that question, but thought it might be bad taste in case the winner got sexual favors [:D]

Anyway... I had a 50liter tank in my 1998. I think they changed the size of the tgas tank in 2001, didn't they? Therefore, you'll go definitely farther with a later model.

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
I only get 230-250, without a lead foot. I know some of it is caused by the heavy 18" chrome wheels previous owner installed. But they look too good to change for fuel economy. [:)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
I just discovered my 'low fuel' light last night[:p], I normally fill up when it reaches 1/2 tank (just a habit of mine, based on running out).[8D]

I had 315 miles on tank, filled up with 13.5 gal, about 23mpg. I put my foot in it a number of times[:D][:D][:D], mostly at stop lights, accelerating up to 70-100 (depending on whether it was street or hwy ramp).

I believe the SLK32 has a 16.5 gal tank[:I], so it should allow up to 370 miles. I filled mine up as soon as the fuel light came on (it came on at the same time I had gunned it, 55-80[:D]).

One question for the others is: does the light come on and stay on, or can it go out (like when going up a hill or easing off the gas)?[?][?]

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 320. Usual more freeways and less local roads, about 300 miles per tank, with some to go but the yellow light is on. I have tried to push the car before on long road trips which averaged around 80-85 miles/hr and one tank can last nearly 360 miles or so. This is with A/C on and sometimes with a lead foot on the open road [:)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Wendy, one suggestion for improving mileage with a manual is skipping some gears during acceleration. It is a trick I learned when I had my Miata (which has less HP than a 230). If I was in street traffic, I would skip from 2 to 4th. This is especially helpful entering a hwy, if the road is clear. Since you have a six-speed, it is better to get into 6th gear as quickly as possible (reducing the RPM, which eats the petro). If the engine is lagging, then go back to 5th.

My miata would get 30+ mph with a 4-cylinder engine (no supercharger), using regular gas. My SLK32 using premium fuel, BP/American white is my brand.

It also helps to drive like you have a egg under your right foot, smooth.

The rule of thumb on gas mileage is low RPM=less gas[:)], High RPM=eats gas![:(]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I managed 32 miles per gallon with my 230K.........

Cruising at 55 mph on Route 95 Southbound from DC to Myrtle Beach, SC. That equates to well over 300 miles to the tank.
Of course if you look at a map, you can see it's down hill all the way...... [:D]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts