Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK350 MT LHD & 09 SLK350 7G RHD
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After picking up my car with an unlucky 13 km on the clock, the bad luck continues.

Yesterday it was the buzzing Comand unit that has to be taken back. Today ...

1. Some stupid woman almost reverses into me.

2. I grate my right rear rim along a curb going into a car park - nice big gash around the outside :mad:

3. Some fu*%ing complete idiot rear ends me at a junction - I couldn't spot any damage so he avoided a hospital trip. :mad: :mad:

4. My heated seat has developed a fault. It seems to switch off after 30+ mins.

5. I park to admire the view across Lake Annecy and because it is a bit windy a big wave splashes over the car and sprays inside - I was a good 5m away from the edge for Christ sake. :eek:

I am dreading what day three has install for me. I think I was happier with my old banger. Less stress.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
That's bad luck, sorry to hear all that, maybe it wasn't meant to be, hope things get better soon.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
Sorry to read about the unfortunate incidents.

The heated seats are supposed to turn off at 5, 10 or 20 minutes depending on which heating level you have it on. The highest heating level (3 red LED) will shut off the soonest, i.e., 5 minutes. (Owner's manual)

The rims probably can be repaired and smoothed out.

Check the varioroof operation after being rearended to make sure it operates fine. Do it two or three times to be sure. Make sure the trunk lid (cargo) closes correctly too after the "rearender."

The fresh water spray can be cleaned up with a slightly damp microfiber cloth. Make sure the carpets are not soaking wet. Apply Zaino leather-in-a bottle or similar product with a clean microfiber cloth and you're all set.

Any word on what caused the noise when the COMAND is turned on?

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
I haven't read anything about day 3. That's good news.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 3 - it continues ...

etyu said:
I haven't read anything about day 3. That's good news.
I should be so lucky. At least today there are only two things

1. Gashed up my right front rims - I can see this is going to be a regular occurance and so can't see any point in getting them fixed

2. This is a biggie. My really stupid gf decides to see if the slots in the lid of the central storage space can hold coins!!! And duly pokes one into the lid cavity before I could stop her. I now have a coin rattling around in the lid and no way to get it out. I mean, how stupid can you get? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Day 4: Not started yet but I can see it gong something like this. spend 3 hours trying to get coin out. Break something in the process (almost did that yesterday trying to take it apart). I can't remember if it is a public holiday in France so I might drive to a dealer there and get a quote for a new centre storage unit sans coin.

Or I might just stay in bed and hide under the covers.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
I shall pray for you. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6-6-6 Lucky?

Well, 6-6-6 passed yesterday and things took a turn for the better.

1. Comand no longer buzzes (I think it was just the Comand cooling fan bedding in)

2. I managed to get the coin out of the central storage compartment lid

3. The weather is still sunny

4. Didn't hit a rim

5. No one hit me.

Now I don't want to count my chickens just yet as I left my car on the street last night rather than in the underground parking but could have I turned a corner?

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350 Diamond Silver
59 Posts
mcat said:
After picking up my car with an unlucky 13 km on the clock, the bad luck continues.

Yesterday it was the buzzing Comand unit that has to be taken back. Today ...

1. Some stupid woman almost reverses into me.

2. I grate my right rear rim along a curb going into a car park - nice big gash around the outside :mad:

3. Some fu*%ing complete idiot rear ends me at a junction - I couldn't spot any damage so he avoided a hospital trip. :mad: :mad:

4. My heated seat has developed a fault. It seems to switch off after 30+ mins.

5. I park to admire the view across Lake Annecy and because it is a bit windy a big wave splashes over the car and sprays inside - I was a good 5m away from the edge for Christ sake. :eek:

I am dreading what day three has install for me. I think I was happier with my old banger. Less stress.
In re: to #4, think the seats are supposed to turn off after 30 mins as stated in the manual, IIRC.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
43 Posts
bclark said:
I definitely wouldn't drive it on Tuesday:

I placed the order of mine on that day!

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck mcat. Hope mine doesn't turn out to be a devil of a car also.

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
I think that an exorcism is in order, performed by the ghost of Rudolph Uhlenhaut! Dinoman

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
will do this again today

etyu said:
I shall pray for you. :)
I think this will do without resorting to exorcism. :D

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
In the early '50s, some cars were equipped (aftermarket) with items known as "curbfeelers." These were chromed wires, with a small ball at the end, which resembled a cat's whiskers. They served much the same function. Protruding from the bottom rear corner of each right-side wheel cutout, and using a spring action, they emitted a metallic noise when striking the curb during parking maneuvers. Not intended to protect expensive alloy wheels from the dreaded "curb rash" so common today, they instead saved many a wide white sidewall from premature ruin, and many a car owner from having to use a scouring pad on the whitewalls. Just a bit of nostalgic trivia. Dinoman

1 - 20 of 23 Posts