Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up an '06 S500 and am interested in one of these head units. Like yours I'll need the analog/fiber optic converter.

Do you have L/R/Front/Back balance and fader controls?
Do you use an iPhone and does it work connected via usb? I prefer a wired connection to bluetooth for audio and the phone stays charged.

Does it do AirPlay from an iPhone.

Are you still happy with it? The Command system is really showing its and I won't miss anything from it.

Thanks

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,862 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, no 1997 Mercedes was ever equipped with a gps or navigation system. Those began to be introduced in the 2000 model year. As a result, you probably have a radio, and the space to fit a modern gps unit is not available.

You are probably best advised to go to a high-end audio shop and let them make recommendations for a 3rd party unit that will give you the features you want. They would be best equipped to determine what might fit in the space available, or to make recommendations for modifications to accept the unit you select.

If you only need voice turn instructions and a small map will do, you could consider using navigation software for your cell phone, and a mount to keep it where you can see it. Apple iPhones have several very good nav apps - Google Earth, Google maps, Apple's own maps, and Garmin maps to name the ones I have on mine. I am sure Android and other phones have versions as well. Some phone mounts also have built-in speakers so you can hear better, or they will have outputs that can be fed to your audio system. I used such a system with my phone in a 1978 vintage Mercedes.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am having a hard time finding the nav/gps system to fit my 97 E420...Help!!! Lol
The W210 was equipped with a single DIN radio. i dont believe the W210 was never equipped with factory NAV. it didn't have any type of fiber optics for the audio system either, so installing an aftermarket system is easy. I installed an aftermarket Clarion head unit in my 99 E300D.

As for a GPS/nav system, you would have to go with a single DIN aftermarket replacement that has one of those pop out screens and NAV ability. They're a bit Pricey but they're out there.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Hey guys,

what would be the best swap for a 01 clk55 i need to get rid of command asap.
would any double din headunit do it? as in a pioneer double din?

its been ages since i have been in a benz with command

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,862 Posts
You ask a question the answer to which is highly subjective. I'll try to give you enough information to help you to decide which way to go.

Your existing audio system is entirely D2B fiber optic, and the cost and ease of changing out your COMAND to something else will be determined by whether you retain existing components, or go entirely to a copper wire system.

The very first post in this thread has a link that shows a number of options; and yes, there are others such as the Pioneer brand you mentioned.

For more on system upgrades or modifications, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1696359-primer-audio-systems-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
You ask a highly subjective question. Your existing audio system is entirely D2B fiber optic, and the cost and ease of changing out your COMAND to something else will be determined by whether you retain existing components, or go entirely to a copper wire system.

The very first post in this thread has a link that shows a number of options; and yes, there are others such as the Pioneer brand you mentioned.

For more on system upgrades or modifications, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1696359-primer-audio-systems-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html
Skylaw if you not it or not you have been helping me with my cars for years, thank you

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts