Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL 500 Sport Pk
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say after reading the material on their website it seems pretty legit...I'm just wondering has anyone put this on their SL 500? Mine is a 99 and I would love to know if this chip can really make a detectable difference... So, I'm taking it to the people that know...You!

Mike

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
RE: i havent read the literature but I bet that for more power

Less gas mileage? - does this really concern the R129 crowd?

I'm looking forward to hearing from someone who installed the chip, from my understanding the computer must be removed & shipped to Powerchip.
They disassemble the computer & install the revised chip.
I'm hesitant to undertake this process.....

you get less mpg. with gas prices now days i think i settle for stock settings.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
So far I don't hear any recommendation on this process. I don't want to be the first person who throw away the R129 because of this [:)]. I think the owner of this organization should double check the background of the third party they sponsor. The last time they sponsored thedrivercorner, lots of people had problems.

Am I gonna get kicked out of the forum? [:)]

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
I sent my ECU to be reprogrammed by Renntech and I can tell a big difference. Powerchip reprogrammed the ECU for my 97 Lexus sc400. I feel noticeable gains from both companies. The only thing you have to ask yourself is: is it worth the price, because it does increase the performance. The only reason I did it is because I drive my car hard and the upgraded ecu gives me better off the line punch.

You want a great combo, do the ecu, exhaust, and K&N air filters like i did and your 500SL suddenly grows wings. My throttle response is significanty enhanced, feels like the car is on steriroids now that it breathes better too.

·
Registered
2005 C320k
69 Posts
lnguyenh - 4/9/2005 2:36 AM

What kind of exhaust do you have on your Silver Arrow? any pics? thanks.
check Tech-Tune's gallary. I think it's a RENNtech [;)]

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
The exhaust is a renntech and sounds slightly louder and deeper. I do have the pictures in the forum. As for pitures of the k&n filters, their replacement filters for the stock ones. Most people think that they do nothing. If you only open the intake and do nothing to the out-take (exaust) then you wont feel anything. If you open up both ends and add more fuel to the mix then its simple math:

More Oxegen(intake & Exhaust) + More Fuel(re-mapped ecu)= More power

Most people make the mistake of not letting the new air leave as quickly as it came in

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Not sure how this "powerchip" works. Do we need to ship the car/ECU over? do we need to bring to their shops? I emailed them but they never answered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts