Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I get used to this 'box, the more I like it.

You have to get used to it a little - playing with 7 gears is different from 5 or 6. A few things I have found:

1. Normally drive in 'S'. Maybe warm it up in 'C', then put it in 'S'. I find 'C' a bit unresponsive. (Unless you are in traffic in which case it does not matter.)

2. If you want to take off without getting too much wheelspin in 'S' (and the ESP in a panic) give it about 2/3 throttle in first, and the moment it takes 2nd, floor it. Beauty.

3. With the modern electronics reading the accellerator (gas pedal) you need to understand that it reads more than just position. For example, if you are driving at say 1/3 throttle, and you gradually and calmly go up to 2/3 throttle, it will likely stay in a higher gear, maybe drop one, and reward you with a nice growl. If, however, you move from 1/3 to 2/3 very quickly, it will drop two or more gears. In other words, it reads the way in which you depress the pedal, not just the end position, and will react accordingly. It also takes into account the incline of the road.

4. Do not be afraid to step on it a bit. You can always take you foot off again...

In my books, a splendid piece of engineering.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
Orion Blue SLK350
108 Posts
I like it a lot too, however, I find myself typically driving in "C" rather than "S" mode, mostly due to my tendency to goose the accelerator when starting. I haven't been able to train myself not to do that (all my previous cars were pretty gutless, including an SLK230). In "S" mode the SLK350 can pretty well jam you into your seat and while that isn't necessarily a big deal for me, my wife isn't terribly fond of it (and don't blame her).

In general, find "C" mode very comfortable for typical commute and city driving. Then, when taking the car out for a "real" spin, I flip it into "S" mode and love the responsiveness. I think the transmission was very well designed and the ratios well chosen for different styles of driving.

Lovin' this car!

Jerry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts