Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am on my way home from tucson az to phnx. Usually about a 1 1/2 hr drive for me. They closed the main freeway just outside of town causing me to sit for like 2 hours and do nothing but stare at the asshole biker that cut me off 2 hours prior just to find himself stuck in the same bs as me.

Well I wait and wait and finally like a gift from god its my turn to open my beast back up onto an EMPTY highway. I go flyin up to the HOV lane and im cruisin. On most freeways during the day and the weekends the HOV lane is like any other well not this time. My g/f had turned the V1 off because it was bothering her earlier in town so I didnt notice that it was going crazy. The lights go and im being pulled over. Thoughts of running from him came to mind from an earlier post but I thought whatever im screwed.

Cop comes up and looks at the v1 and my plate cover and said "You sher have a buncha momney invested in keepin cops off yer butt son u got somethin to hide.?" I sai dno sir and he searched my car.... then asked me how fast the speed limit was on this here freeway. I responded with "How fast did you clock me at?" 81! well then the speed limit must be 82 ha ha. he didnt find it funny but I did.

He tells me I need to pull the head outta my ass because im going to get someone killed. I responded with he needs to realize that for the last 2 hours I sat in my Mercedes benz not moving and that was the 1st strech off safe open road ive seen. Not to mention I hated ADOT. He laughed and said yea yea... they kinda suck and he said well son im gonna make all your little toys worth while and let you go have a safe slow driving day.

and let me go......

HOLY FUCKIN CRAP is all I can say.

--Deathy

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt after the 1st slipknot cd ended i was throwing a fucking temper tantrum in my car.

I was so fucking pissed and then when i saw the lights I started laughing because I didnt think my day could get worse.

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
I sai dno sir and he searched my car....
No F'n way can any police officer search my car. I've got nothing (and I do mean NOTHING) to hide, but I refuse to let them search my car. It worked out for you (because he let you go) but they can call in the drug dogs... all that good stuff, but to quote Jay-Z (which ain't something I do often) "I know my rights, and you gonna need a warrant for that."

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
What about running CD reg. plates. Then the 5 0 wan't stop you at all.[:D]

Maybe you get in some trouble with the Dept. of State and Condoleezza Rice. But not with the 5 0..!!

LMAO!!!
[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
lilMAC - 4/9/2005 5:33 PM

I sai dno sir and he searched my car....
No F'n way can any police officer search my car. I've got nothing (and I do mean NOTHING) to hide, but I refuse to let them search my car. It worked out for you (because he let you go) but they can call in the drug dogs... all that good stuff, but to quote Jay-Z (which ain't something I do often) "I know my rights, and you gonna need a warrant for that."
They do not need a warrant to search your car. All they need is probable cause. I know lots of people take the stance that they have nothing to hide but they are not going to let the police search their car on principal. You just need to realize that there are times when you will pay the price due to your stance. Right or wrong, within or outside of your rights, it does not matter. Had an acquantince who is a law student, stood up for himself with a county cop on his rights about not having his car search. To make a long story short, he ended up sitting in jail overnight without his phone call.

Glad the cop was cool and let you off with a warning. Most cops would have given you a ticket just because you have the V1 and plate cover.

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
All they need is probable cause.
That's true... however, the courts have decided multiple times that speeding isn't probable cause, refusing a search is also not probable cause.

As to your buddy being held overnight w/o a phone call... Sometimes you do have to take your lumps.

However, in TX if that happens, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

A similar situation was happening "next door" in LA. A backwoods sheriff had a nice business going by impounding speeders cars, holding the speeders for a couple days and auctioning their cars off w/in a couple days. Needless to say, there was a bit of a stink over that...

I don't say SUE SUE SUE... but if someone threw me in cuffs, towed and impounded my car and tossed me in jail overnight, because I didn't want my automobile searhed.... You can be damn sure I'm looking for a lawyer, and I'm fairly certain I'd win.

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
It's not a 'Tude'... it's a right. Guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States. By the way, California is a nice place to visit, no way would I want to live there too expensive. I'm Texas born and bred, so I take insult to your "Arkanas" comment. [:p]

Guess it's a "redneck" thing to want someone to respect my rights as guaranteed under the Constitution, huh?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guys your failing to see the point. the cops has to feel like an ass after searching your car and finsing nothingt. if you truely have nothing to hide you can work the system and he cop on the basis of him feeling bad and save yourfelf a few hundred bucks.

I pick my battles and I wasnt about to piss this guy off. Now if I had my m4 in the trunk it woulda been a different story....

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
i agree with death.. it will also save you a lot of time being on the side of the freeway. if the cop is really persistent on having your car searched, he will request a search warrant from a judge or wherever they request it from.. and have it faxed on their on board printer (yes most of cop cars have them) even if the warrant is denied by a judge.. it will take at least 30 min to an hour. so if you really got nothing to hide... vehicle search will take only about 15 min ..

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
Believe me guys, I understand... and I truly have nothing to hide (the worst thing I might have is some Rage Against the Machine Cd's) but I like my rights and I exercise them.

As for the warrant, as soon as I saw it, I'd have no problem stepping out of the way to let him search it... Good luck getting a warrant based on nothing though (I hope, otherwise what's the point?)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
lilMAC - 4/10/2005 8:59 PM

Believe me guys, I understand... and I truly have nothing to hide (the worst thing I might have is some Rage Against the Machine Cd's) but I like my rights and I exercise them.

As for the warrant, as soon as I saw it, I'd have no problem stepping out of the way to let him search it... Good luck getting a warrant based on nothing though (I hope, otherwise what's the point?)
lilMAC-I guess it's a Texas (Southern?) thing (and I'm not even a native). I'm not letting them search my vehicle without a warrant either, and I don't even have a Rage against the Machine CD [:)]. If "we" (the public) voluntarily give up our rights, it won't be long before we loose them all together.

I've already decided, my stock answer will be: "my lawyer has advised me to never submit to a vehicle search without a proper warrant". End of story, if they want to get one fine, otherwise I'm going to exercise my rights. Would you let them search your house if they asked nicely and you have nothing to hide?

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
I guess the law is law, and do what they want.
Everytime i go overseas, customs always "randomly" stop me and search my car. I have no choice, just have to sit and watch them un-pack everything, then throw it back in so it don't fit. Classic case of young-male-in-fancy-car, he must have nicked it.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
I guess the law is law, and do what they want.
Everytime i go overseas, customs always "randomly" stop me and search my car. I have no choice, just have to sit and watch them un-pack everything, then throw it back in so it don't fit. Classic case of young-male-in-fancy-car, he must have nicked it.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I was coming back from some shopping in France, and (musta been one of those days for her) customs cops stops me in order to do a full search on my car.

Guess it didn't help that me and my GF were both dressed up in black, ripped up clothes and stuff (I think we just kinda threw on the clothes we wore the night before to a metal concert).

She was so disappointed when she couldn't find anything (and of course, my drivers license and papers were all ok too). I REALLY felt like saying to her "I TOLD YOU SO", but... sometimes it's better to just keep mum and go on your ways (unless you want to end up spending another 30 minutes having an ass scan, or something just as frightening).

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
bodypainter - 4/11/2005 7:41 AM

All any officer has to do is put his nose in the window and say "I smell marijuana" and he has all the probable cause he'll ever need. It'll stand up in court too.
Sorry, I don't believe that. Because if he proceeds with the search and comes up with absolutly nothing (which he will) and you choose to get an attorney and pursue the matter it is not as simple as "I smelled marajuana". We have constitutional rights in this country and they are there to prevent just such a senario.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Deathrage I think you did the right thing by letting him search the car. I bet it helped him decide to let you go.

I have had several heated conversations with some intructors here at school. We have a Criminal Justace undergrad and grad program, many of the instructor are retired cops, corrections officers , and attornies. They all say let the cop search the car. If not, he can hold the car, not you, but the car. This falls under "now you find another way home because your car is on the side of the road in custody". After they do their legal search you can pick it up at the impound lot, hopefully without too many scratches from being transported. This is a case of you can win the war but loss the battle. Besides if you let him search, he is more likely to let you go...
[8D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.� - Ben Franklin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts