Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 240d auto crossmember is the right size. The drive shaft however is not
. I spent the day comparing to 116 and 115 and none were the correct size.

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
My 240 auto cross member is larger than my manual one. It mounts farther back than the manual one and uses 4 mounting bolts while the manual one uses 2. I have my manual one out of the car so if you need me to take measurements than let me know.
Jon

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 240 auto cross member is larger than my manual one. It mounts farther back than the manual one and uses 4 mounting bolts while the manual one uses 2. I have my manual one out of the car so if you need me to take measurements than let me know.
Jon
Thats correct, the proper position for an om617 engine.

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
Oops, I did not realize you were putting a 4 speed on the back of a 617. The drive shaft section between the trans coupler and center bearing will be shorter. But, you know that. I think you have to have it shortened by a drive shaft shop. I don't think there is one that will fit in there without modifying it. If I remember correctly there was a detailed thread on mercedesshop regarding the 4 spd to 617 conversion. Do you know the measurement that you need? I might be able to hunt around here for one.
Jon

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I have already done the conversion once with proper parts from a euro 300d. I am trying to do it the right way again.

Oops, I did not realize you were putting a 4 speed on the back of a 617. The drive shaft section between the trans coupler and center bearing will be shorter. But, you know that. I think you have to have it shortened by a drive shaft shop. I don't think there is one that will fit in there without modifying it. If I remember correctly there was a detailed thread on mercedesshop regarding the 4 spd to 617 conversion. Do you know the measurement that you need? I might be able to hunt around here for one.
Jon

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5 and 6 cyl W123 models have the same driveshaft length. (With the same tranny off course)
Interesting. While thats good to know a 5 or 6cyl in states with a manual tranny is hard to find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts