Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 300SD went to the body shop yesterday, and is finally getting its long awaited paint job. I'll post some pics of a real, unmolested, "stock all the way except for tire size" saloon body style W126 without SEC fronts or terrible rims when comes back home, since that's I'm starting to find here more and more[xx(], and I know we all love beautiful W126s.[|)] This is what I'm expecting to see when it's ready, except w/o tinted windows, euro dark orange turn signal lenses and headlights, and euro bumpers.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
H-TownBenzoboy - 2/18/2005 11:50 PM

I'll post some pics of a real, unmolested, "stock all the way except for tire size" saloon body style W126 without SEC fronts or terrible rims when comes back home, since that's I'm starting to find here more and more[xx(]
Thank you.

We’re looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here we are. I was only able to get one photo today. I have also included a pic of what it looked like prior to the repaint. Enjoy![:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
H-TownBenzoboy - 3/10/2005 8:33 PM

And here we are. I was only able to get one photo today. I have also included a pic of what it looked like prior to the repaint. Enjoy![:D]

Please post more when you have the chance. The more I see your thistle green SD the more I like the color. Funny how it could look so odd on a chip and so good on a car. I'm thinking more and more of making my SE that color again unless of course it gets too insanely expensive to do[:0]

John
'80 500se AMG(?)
'80 300sd

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
looks great! how much was it?

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
Very nice! Now it’s just begging for a pair of stock lights (Euro) to go with that shiny new paint job. [;)] [:p]

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
I don't see anything.. well, I do.. but can't say anything from the pictures. There is a major reflection that makes it look white, and then the second picture shows what looks like bondo and then snow on the car? But then you're from Houston.... you guys get snow down there??

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snibble - 3/11/2005 5:05 AM

I don't see anything.. well, I do.. but can't say anything from the pictures. There is a major reflection that makes it look white, and then the second picture shows what looks like bondo and then snow on the car? But then you're from Houston.... you guys get snow down there??
That second picture was taken prior to the paint job. Before the job was done, there was a slight accident, and we were going to get it repainted anyway, so the dent was fixed and painted primer gray for the time being. And yes, that is snow. That was taken on Christmas Day 2004. It was the first snowfall Houston received since 1989, and the first Christmas Eve snowfall recorded in Houston's history. I'm going to get better pictures with no glares when I get time.
-Joe

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I guess it's time to find some Euros now. I know a place where there are some wrecked W126s, one of them most likely has some Euros on it, I'll probably try and get a set off of one of those.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well done!! Your car is beautiful!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
jdc1244a - 3/11/2005 6:45 PM

Looks great! The euros would be nice.
I'd keep the orange corners in this particular case. The orange compliments thistle green nicely and enhances that classic Benz image, like that on the first picture of this thread.

·
Registered
380sel 1983
31 Posts
Clear corners don't necesarily detract from overall effect of new paint job. May even improve the look. But that's entirely subjective though, isn't it jdc. You've more than likely seen my previous pic posts but have included them again. Vigourous discussion is good for the soul. Tarquin [:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Yes, it’s all subjective, and I would not quibble over relatively small issues like rims and corners. It is good to have opinions from others to help one decide how he wants to mod his car. As for the color of the corners it is a toss-up: I like both the clears and orange. If Joe were to stay with the orange I’d say try to find the dark Euro orange, it does complement the green well.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jdc1244a - 3/12/2005 9:58 AM

Yes, it’s all subjective, and I would not quibble over relatively small issues like rims and corners. It is good to have opinions from others to help one decide how he wants to mod his car. As for the color of the corners it is a toss-up: I like both the clears and orange. If Joe were to stay with the orange I’d say try to find the dark Euro orange, it does complement the green well.
I've always been partial to the dark Euro orange corners since I saw some on a W126 once. They make the car look the way Bruno Sacco intented, although the clear corners do look nice in the same color, but it's going to be the orange ones for sure.
-Joe

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I think my preference for orange corner, particularly with the thistle green may have to do with the fact that I recall owning a Matchbox or Tomix or whatever make miniature car of Mercedes in that color and with the orange corner. Based on my age, it is definitely not W126 but it was probably W116 or W107.

It's my version of 'Remembrance of Things Past' hence the preference is totally subjective.[:)]

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Since nobodies pulling any punches here, i'll have to say, those rims, US lights, and US bumpers look nasty.[xx(]

Nice sticking with the thistle green though, unique colour.

How come no one understands that the US equipment was an afterthought. The US version IS the molested version. The US boxed lights and bumpers were the CHEAPEST way to get the car to satisfy regulations, not the prettiest or best, or even what the designers intended.[V]

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
jdc1244a - 3/13/2005 12:35 AM

Gee, I guess at my age it would be a w108…[V]
W108 was produced until 1972. My earliest memories start around that time. It could well be a W108 miniature I was playing with so take heart.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
cyberdrakon - 3/13/2005 1:54 AM

How come no one understands that the US equipment was an afterthought.
Yes, eddie, everyone understands that (jeez...[xx(]); that’s why Euro lamp restoration is number one on the list of cosmetic things to do with a new w126 owner, in the US, anyway. The bumpers unfortunately are more problematic. The rims, however, were not DOT mandated – they may be nasty – and that can be debated – but the bundts are factory OEM.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts