Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe I've read several threads where people have had their motor mounts replaced and it smoothed out their ride. I had contemplated doing so in my 81 240D as it had a pretty heavy gait in idle but it was always one of those projects that I would do when I got the time. Well, never did replace them but now following the wreck, I think it might be prudent. Has anyone ever heard of motor mounts getting twisted sideways? If you stand in front of my engine bay the valve cover looks as though it is closer to the drivers side in front, like it is set at a very slight angle. I put a floor jack under the bottom of the engine and slowly lifted the engine until it started to lift the chassis so I figured the mounts weren't sheared but can they bend sideways? If I had ever handled one of these mounts I could probably answer my own question based on the design but as I haven't ever replaced mine before I'm not sure if this could be the problem. I also noticed a really tight margin between the outside edge of the fan blade and the inside of the fan shroud on the drivers side and yet 4 times more spacing on the passengers side. I took a few pics and did a couple of quick measurements and overlaid it on the photo. I measured from the center of the oil cap to the inside edge of the hood on both sides and then did the same with the MB logo on the back of the valve cover. If anyone would care to take the time to measure theirs I would greatly appreciate it. Just need a rough idea so I know whether to pursue this particular repair.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
********************** BUMP ************************************

Don't tell me that I am the only one on this board who owns both a 240D and a tape measure? I'm not asking anyone to do anything really difficult, just want a couple measurements so I'll know how to continue with my restoration.
And how about all those posts I read about replacing motor mounts, didn't anybody DIY or were these all done at the dealership? Thanks, Cyberbach

·
Registered
1981 240D
858 Posts
my measurements

i did some quick measurements for you today. i tried to make them accurate but of course there might be a little variation if i wasn't perfectly perpindicular to the fender...but i tried. I amended your photo with the measurements from my 81 240D. Good luck with the motor mounts...I've never done it but might have to at some point, my car likes to shake a lot at idle.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 300 TDT 232K
46 Posts
Engine alignment & Motor Mounts

Cyber
Just ran out & did some quick measurements on my 300TD (84) - my measurements are in the same 'ballpark', allowing for 5 cylinders - i.e.
passenger side 28 1/4 (back) and 27 1/2 (front)
driver side 29 3/4 (back) and 28 3/4 (front)

About motor mounts - I just completed installing new mounts on my E320 (94); not that bad a job but you will get dirty. On the E320 the top & bottom bolts are 17mm hex heads.

For the 240D & 300TD, the bolts appear to be Allen heads (8 & 10 mm?).
More important - do not forget to place a 1 foot long piece of lumber ( 1-2 inch thickness) between your jack point and the bottom of the oil pan (the pan will take the engine weight). You may also need to remove the fan & fan shroud as it might contact the radiatior as you are lifting the engine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for working with me guys!!

Thanks Smallfence and Darklurker for taking the time to look and measure. By averaging your measurements it looks like I am within tolerance. I took the car out today and topped off all her fluids, (oil, ATF, radiator) and took her out for a spin. She runs like a champ and after she warmed up a bit she idled at a nice smooth gait, nothing near as violent as she seemed after she had sat for a couple months following the wreck, Still have a long ways to go but she is once again starting to resemble her proud stature. Hope to get a shot of primer on her this week, still have to adjust the throw of the hood. Thanks again, Cyberbach

1 - 6 of 6 Posts