Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 S550 99 ML320 95 C280 79 450SL
137 Posts
Its definitely brilliant looking. just that the g class is like moving away from its traditional Offroad/Mercedes enthusiast roots, to basically a car for Hollywoods elite.

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
Congratulations....Nice to see that MB is investing in the biggest maket of the world !

Now , the G 320 cdi will be very wellcome!

Fernando

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has Mercedes updated the steering dampener? My 2003 G 55 has 10,000 miles on a new dampener and is starting to weaken. Fix the dampener and make the back seat recline and I'm in line.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
at first glance (a few weeks ago when it was first posted) i liked the grill better than i do now. I sort think it looks nicer, sorty think it looks cheaper... on the fence. as much as i'm not a fan of the amount of electronics present in the new interior, including the headlights (i'm not a fan of headlights that rely on sensor systems to define their beam path)... but all things considered, a new bolt on plastic grill and a different navi system is a pretty small update all things considered, i'd say it's pretty remarkable just how little they change the vehicle over time. Which is fine by me. Somebody said they've recently changed something in the steering system so they steering wheel is much lighter than it was when they first gave it "tilt" steering on the new interior for 2001... which people complained got suddenly harder at that time.

I don't know about the latest dampener, but there was a bad batch made back in the 02-03 time frame i think... and there have been revised at least once i think since then. Worst case you dealer had an old one on the shelf and sold it to you. I'm getting close to 40k on my current dampener, i've got less offset on my rims and bigger tires which you'd think would make for a faster death, but maybe the extra tire sidewall (for less shock to the system) and tires that balance better and more round (than the stock yoko's for a g500) is actually helping my cause.

... If you don't keep your tires really well balanced i could see it killing the dampener much faster too... the other somewhat evil question is are you SURE they changed the dampener with a new one? If you're just driving smooth city streets 10k is pretty short life on a dampener... bigger rims, less offset rims, tire balance issues, or more jarring extreme use (either on or offroad) should kill it faster ofcourse. Mine was half dead at 30k miles when i got my truck. The good news is the dampers are basically cheap and easy to replace... certainly cheaper than wearing out other steering parts by delaying changing it as soon you notice and degradation.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I've lost track of when I posted that the G550 was coming - but it was a while ago. The fact that almost 30 years later I can still buy the car essentially unchanged is a huge bonus. Agreed - too much electronics but in the end it is a safer truck that fits the overall image of Mercedes. Keep in mine only 700 Gs are scheduled to be sold in USA per year (staring 07 or 08 - not sure which). From MB "corporate"'s viewpoint these $80K+ trucks should still be as safe as the rest of the line up w. all the electronic complexity.

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
Those electronics are like windows , each new version new problems but after a year its all the same. The problem is :there is no mac in the offroad market....

Anyway if you are going to use the G more than 50% offroad , so buy an old version.

Fernando

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
Who designed that grille...!? Someone from Kia or Hyundai ??
I am not a fan of the new grille either ... but I do like the way it makes the G 'smile' :)

I see this as a positive sign ... MB is updating the grille to match the rest of the SUV line. If they were killing the G in 2010, they would not have bothered ... cheers to more years!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 G Class

I was at the local Mercedes dealership today and they informed me that the 2009 G-class would not be available in the US to the public. They said it would be strictly sold and used for military/government purposes.

·
Registered
'97 G300 LWB
110 Posts
I was at the local Mercedes dealership today and they informed me that the 2009 G-class would not be available in the US to the public. They said it would be strictly sold and used for military/government purposes.
dealers are usually stupid when it comes to Gs
or they just have a few old stock that they want to move before the new ones arrive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure what your idiot dealer is smoking. I rarely trust the dealer's info - especially parts and anything G related.
I'm right there with you man! Those f*****g dealers are a bunch of liars. Justbecause they sell high end cars doesn't mean they are one bit as classy. They LIE to sell.

Also, LOVE the new G-Class but also agree with the comments about the grill. Three blades? That's all? eh.

Also, hope the navigation system has been improved by leaps and bounds. The 2005 Navi is THE #1 WORST navigation system I've ever used in a vehicle. I'd rather sit with a $250 Garmin in my lap (too embarrassed to put it up on the dash of an $80G truck, LOL) than use the navi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts