Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello various cleaning experts,
I just bought an 01 E320 that has been washed and waxed faithfully on the exterior apparently never eaten in and has not seen much of sunlight exposure......but it appears the the engine has been washed once since the car got to this country...........and i was the one who did it last weekend......

So here are my questions
I have a few minor spots on the intake manifold dawn dish soap wont take off. and i would like some tips on cleaning that aluminum. I have not used any type of engine cleaners as there is no grease or oil that would warrant such a product.

Then there is that corrosion preventative....the manual recommends some MB product.....its this equivalent to "CorrosionBlock" used in the marine industry or Bosheild T9 used in aerospace?

I would like the engine to really stand out any other tips solicited or not would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Cameron,

The spots that have made there presence on your intake can most likely be removed with a metal polish? As for the corrosion preventative, lets see what some of the other members have to say!

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i was not really sure if there was some type of treatment or anodized on there that i needed to be careful of?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have recommendations for making the painted or plastic covers stand out? i planned to use some 303 Aerospace protectant on the rubber parts which i know works well and doesn't degrade anything.

What i do not want is something that just makes the parts shiny then attracts dust like ants on peanut butter...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello Again dizzyearth,

I want to tell you about a cream dressing that Adam's makes! It is our V.R.T Dressing; this dressing can be used on tires interior vinyl, and engine plastics. The V.R.T leaves a dry, flat, deep, natural finish that will not attract dust guaranteed!

V.R.T

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have had the same problems with my intake manafold and i am going to try a citrus degreaser on that when the weather warms up. If that fails then the only thing to do is polish it and that is a big job.

For the black plastic, use aerospace 303. It is really good stuff.

I just did this volvo this weekend
-Degreased with zep citrus degreaser
-Steam power washed
-Dressed with aerospace 303

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip i wasn't sure if the 303 did anything for the plastic. the tip earlier on the metal polish seems to have worked. I used Flitz (you can get this at most boat stores. Boaters World Ect.) actually made the whole thing look like new......will get some pics online soon...

Fortunately i'm getting married in a few weeks but unfortunately thats cut into my Detail time..

·
Registered
363 Posts
303 is plastics best friend, i use it on just about everything. It is also my first choice for rubber and almost anything that is in the sun. When in doubt, use aerospace.

I would love to see the polished intake manifold. Details on your process would be great. I have heard great things about flitz, but i've never used it before.

Congrats and best of luck to your marriage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts