Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 320SLK
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a way to "shoe horn" in a set of golf clubs, but except for the little bit of carpet in the middle the area seems to be mostly hard plastic. Just wondering if anyone has found or manufactured for themselves out of carpet remnants some sort of trunk liner that would keep things like clubs from rattling around and scratching things up? It's such an oddly shaped area with those wheel wells intruding that it might be about impossible. My guess is that most people with this kind of car have others they can use, but it's my only car.

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
I have found that if I take my woods out of my bag, and don't drive too aggressively it is not much of a problem.

·
Registered
98 SLK230k/02 SLK32
742 Posts
When I went to look at the new SLK350, the salesman made it a point to say Golf clubs fit in trunk.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,194 Posts
BobGreenfield - 3/17/2005 9:48 AM

I finally found a way to "shoe horn" in a set of golf clubs, but except for the little bit of carpet in the middle the area seems to be mostly hard plastic. Just wondering if anyone has found or manufactured for themselves out of carpet remnants some sort of trunk liner that would keep things like clubs from rattling around and scratching things up? It's such an oddly shaped area with those wheel wells intruding that it might be about impossible. My guess is that most people with this kind of car have others they can use, but it's my only car.
I'm in the situation Bob, I take out my woods and put the top of the bag towards the upper left and the bottom of the bag to the lower right of the trunk. I put a folded up towel under the bottom of the bag to protect the carpet and wrap a towel around the irons to keep them from rattling. Then I lay my 1,3,5,7,& 9 wood (now I'm showing my age) across the bag and close the trunk. I've been doing this for over 4 years and no sign of damage or wear.

Good Luck,

Dave

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Been awhile since I golf but I have been amazed at how much the 'little' trunk can swallow if you pack it right.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230 Silver
25 Posts
I just don't play golf anymore. I swear alot less, drink alot less and blood pressure is much lower. Between the price of greens fees, golf balls and Grey Goose, I save a couple of grand a year. I use that money for an extra trip to the islands each year.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
178 Posts
These guys are right, my woods go in the front seat and everything else makes the trip in the trunk. That seems to work well and doesn't scrath up the trunk too bad.

·
Registered
2001 320SLK
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, That's the way I ended up getting the clubs in too, and thanks a bunch. Finally found a use for that snap on thing that that goes over the top of the bag. One nice aspect of this "new" car is that now I have one of the prettiest cars at the course whereas the old weather beaten BMW 3 I had for over 15 years was one of the worst. Still, I was very nostalgic about it and it was hard to let it go. I had it for it's first 8 years in Heidelberg and have so many good memories of heading for the Swiss border on E5 on a pretty Saturday morning. Unfortunately this new SLK will never get to do trips like that or at 130 MPH.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately this new SLK will never get to do trips like that or at 130 MPH.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had mine up to 120 mph in 5th gear last weekend. I still had rpm's before redline and 6th gear to go. I just didn't want to go over 120 on the city highway. [8D]

·
Registered
'99 230
17 Posts
Kirill - 3/18/2005 9:36 PM

Unfortunately this new SLK will never get to do trips like that or at 130 MPH.

SLK can go 130MPH

Not legally you can't, unless you are on an autobahn like he suggested he was.

I have set the limiter to 90 and still haven't hit it yet.

Surely these sort of speeds should be reserved for a track day, when you can actually race against people without risking innocent bystanders lives? To be honest, the faster car I get the slower I drive it.
I guess real style is just a British thing.

·
Registered
'99 230
17 Posts
Oh and on topic, my clubs go in woods and all without much bother. Hasn't scratched up too bad but I do hate not being able to put the top down :(

·
Registered
02 SLK32AMG/99 E320
18 Posts
When I bought my SlK I was told specifically that the trunk would hold golf clubs. Last Saturday I tried to load my bag into the trunk and it wouldn't fit. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even test drive the Boxster because I had been told my clubs wouldn't fit. I found if I put my driver and three wood in seperately and layed the bag caddy cornered it all fit. For just $15 a month I can leave my bag at the club.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts