Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago our MBCA club had quite the rainy annual picnic (but still fun). Getting there I got caught in a torrential downpour and the car sat parked in the rain for a few hours.

Being paranoid of trapped water I'm in the habit of pulling out carpeting, the rocker drain plugs and the blower motor cover to check for water.

I usually get a little water in the trunk, but I think it is coming in through the tail light so I'll replace the gasket (which I already have).

It was a few days before I pulled the blower cover and sure enough it was wet inside. I Pulled out the blower to wipe it all dry.

If you look closely you can see the wetness in the picture. The area between the, and including the bottom blower mounting screws was all wet with water pooling there. The water gets in through the vents and the wiper arms.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,498 Posts
Good heads up.
For the little bit of rain that you encounter.....you really going to lose sleep over it?

Why not spray some rust inhibiter spray in there like T-9?

Boeshield T-9, 12 oz. Aerosol

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good heads up.
For the little bit of rain that you encounter.....you really going to lose sleep over it?

Why not spray some rust inhibiter spray in there like T-9?

Boeshield T-9, 12 oz. Aerosol
I was thinking of Por15-ing that compartment area. Is T-9 better?

What me loose sleep over a rusted blower compartment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts
I was thinking of Por15-ing that compartment area. Is T-9 better?

What me loose sleep over a rusted blower compartment.
I have my compartment open (after reading your thread!) and although it has essentially no rust, I also have to decide what to use to protect it.

Problem with any oily type rust preventative ( I was thinking of using RustCheck (similar to Boeshield) which we can buy in spray cans is that air flow may pick up solvent. Maybe POR would be better It will dry to a hard finish.

No surface rust, so I may just sand, prime and spray with auto paint (and let it dry thoroughly)

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,507 Posts
It's a design flaw. Large amounts of water drains via the heater box but the tiny bit left just sits and rusts. POR will help then check it yearly.

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
It's a design flaw. Large amounts of water drains via the heater box but the tiny bit left just sits and rusts. POR will help then check it yearly.
What is shocking to me is that with all the resources that the auto makers have they continue to design products that have these kinds of issues. Admittedly these cars are 30+ years old now, but Mercedes had been building cars for over 70 years when these were designed. You would think that it might have dawned on someone that the cars might get driven in the rain and maybe they should plan for that event.
I guess building cars is kinda like politics. The things that are obvious to the average person seems to be completely lost on the people in charge. Or is it that they just don't care?

·
29,498 Posts
Problem with any oily type rust preventative ( I was thinking of using RustCheck (similar to Boeshield) which we can buy in spray cans is that air flow may pick up solvent. Maybe POR would be better It will dry to a hard finish.
Boeshield and Rustcheck are not similar at all once applied. Boeshield will seep and weep until it will "dry" to a waxy type state and will not change once the hot or cold weather hits.

Rustcheck will continually change consistency with temp changes....especially hot weather.

Boeshield is good enough for multi-million dollar aircraft...it should be ok for a 30 year old Benz!

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts
Boeshield is good enough for multi-million dollar aircraft...it should be ok for a 30 year old Benz!
It works well in the right application. I have used it on sailboat S/S railings in salt water environment. Needs to be redone regularly though.

·
29,498 Posts
Needs to be redone regularly though.
In an open environment I agree.

In the closed blower compartment...........not so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts