Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently experiencing A/C issues with my 83 turbo, the center vents are no longer blowing. I did a search and started by removing the glove box to check out the actuator controlling these vents and I finally saw the "foam hose" that I've read about in past threads. If you touch it - it will literally fall apart, my question is.... what the heck is its purpose? What does it do.... or in my case, what is it NOT doing now that it is decomposed? I need to zip tie my actuator open for my center vents and will attempt to replace the "hose" but I am real curious as to its purpose. Anybody have any experience with this and want to share some answers? Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Cyberbach

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,248 Posts
It's for the temp sensor. The hose is a conduit that gently draws in cabin air by a mild vacuum from the heater box to the temp sensor. It basically senses rapid changes in the cabin temperature and could dictate how long a compressor cycles.

You'll need to remove the dash to do the repair. I've used a PVC pipe or Foam pipe insulation that I closed up the seam to make the repair.

While you have the dash out, you should repair the center pods vent properly. As your windshield defrosting will not blow as much air the windshield, instead out through the center vents... Although you can probably get by with closing the vent grills manually. You can get the cheaper pod repair kit from George Murphy at Performance Products.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Since the foam has disintegrated, it is no longer transferring the cabin air to the air sampler in the dashboard. The air sampler is now sampling air from inside the dashboard, which is not representative of the true cabin temperature.

In this case climate control will either blow at maximum blower speed to cool or heat up the cabin, whichever is desired. This is done because the sensor does not sense that the cabin has already reached the desired temp and will continue to do so until it senses it (which will never happen due to the broken hose).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts