Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been chatting with another member about the clicking noise coming from our engines at idle. Going through every thread on the subject we could find, i figured it may not be the timing chain at all. It was time for my ML430 to get an oil change, and Wragie(the other member) talked about Shells Rotella T6 synthetic oil.
After some research, and a price check, i thought it was a great idea to give it a try. Im also a believer in Sea Foam from previous vehicles, so i thought the combination of the two would be a win win. Heres what i did:

I used a bottle of Sea Foam in the crankcase (since my oil was down about a quart, didnt have to drain any) then drove for about 30 mins. Changed the oil out, was pitch black. Put in a new Bosch filter, 8.5L of the Rotella T6 and ran it through. I noticed this morning there was still a clicking although less of what was there, not fully gone. So i ran a can of Sea Foam through the vacuum line. Let it sit for 20 mins and went for a hard, good 20 min drive on the highway. Huge amount of white smoke out of the tailpipe, but thats a good sign :)

After running it, letting it sit for a while to cool off and restarting, the click was almost non existent.
Im very happy with the results, and did the entire oil change on about 80 bucks.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Going to do the same but my oil isn't down at all. Does anyone think I could just get away with the crank being overfilled for 30 minutes or still too risky? Never have used seafoam before.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,129 Posts
I never had the ticking noise on the Mobil One. I have moved to Total Quartz for a a couple of years and it is still a quite engine.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
I too have that clicking sound at idle,,,,SO ANNOYING,,, I guess it could have somthing to do with haveing to change your oil,, which i did,, I used 2l of Lucas synthetic oil stabelizer and the rest with Mobil 1.. Not much of a change in the clicking noise. I always thought the clicking noise was from low grade fule. I am not the first ownner , so who knows what fule they used in her befor i got the truck. Im sure the clicking will never fully disappear. Since i bought my ML i only use 91 - 94 octaine.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
My S class has the 430 engine. When we first got it, it had engine clicking noticable on first start and during acceleration. Also more noticable in th winter. Really annoying (the clicking, not winter).

After several engine oil changes using Mobil 1 at 8-9k intervals, the noise gradually quieted, and is now gone (several years after purchase). Makes me suspect that the Original owner did not use Mobil 1, and there was some sludge restricting passageways that eventually cleared.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too have that clicking sound at idle,,,,SO ANNOYING,,, I guess it could have somthing to do with haveing to change your oil,, which i did,, I used 2l of Lucas synthetic oil stabelizer and the rest with Mobil 1.. Not much of a change in the clicking noise.
Why would you add any type of additive to an already fully synthetic oil?
Especially one with specs like Mobil 1 has.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
I added it because on my BMW i had the same clicking sound. I was advised to use the Lucus synthetic stabelizer because it quiets noisey lifters. and it did work on the BMW. My wifes uncle is a tech for MB. He has also used it with good results.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
PS didnt you say you used SEA FOAM in youre crank case. Why would you use an additive in a fully synthetic oil like Shell Rotella oil.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I used a bottle of Sea Foam in the crankcase (since my oil was down about a quart, didnt have to drain any) then drove for about 30 mins. Changed the oil out, was pitch black.
Didnt put an Additive in an leave it there.
Put in a cleaning agent and drained it out.

http://youtu.be/zKSTdCyI-P4
Anything else you would like to fuck- on- me about?

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
But if Mobil 1 is such great oil, why would you need to add a cleaning agent to the oil. Why not just add more Mobil 1 and let it work its wonders. I joined this site to get info and share. not to fight with you on every post i leave, so get off my back

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Look at it this way the cleaning agents in the synthetics will do it over a much longer period and you are seeing the result in the filter. Seafoam and other additives are too aggressive for long time use but in the space of 30 minutes or so you get years of what cleaning the oil can do. And the gunk is coming out suspended in the oil at the change after.

The end goal is the same but the difference is just how aggressively you want or how fast you need to clean. Most additives are pretty useless with any good oil and are just a waste of money. Cleaning agents are one of the few things you can add temporarily that work. If the oil had these levels of cleaners normally you would be seeing problems with seals and gaskets as it would be too strong over too long a time. The old school thing was atf fluid which has incredibly high amounts of detergents or sometimes diesel fuel which works differently and a bit slower ie drive for few hundred miles then drain.

If you can put up with the ticking as it goes away over time the just use a good oil and change. If it annoys the living crap out of you and you just want it gone NOW use a cleaner. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts