Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody else getting really annoyed with that Edmunds banner ad on the forum, that randomly expands itself at the most irritating time?

It covers half my screen, so I can't read anything. And every time I go to reply to a post, it interferes and I accidentally click on it. And since it's embedded, popup-blocker won't get rid of it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,939 Posts
I agree. Way too irritating. That decision will greatly reduce my patronage of BW.

Al
Atlanta

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,182 Posts
Very typical case of executives who knows nothing about IT and software, hiring young guys who has no idea of marketing to do the job. All they could think about is 'hit count' where you have to click on their ad to get rid of it.
This is just like spam and junk emails : even if they are selling something legit and something you might need, do they really think anybody will buy from them because they trick/force you to read their ad?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Yes it is irritating me too. Maybe someone should start a thread in the Suggestions & Feedback forum to make sure the administrator and/or moderators can see it.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Yes it is irritating me too. Maybe someone should start a thread in the Suggestions & Feedback forum to make sure the administrator and/or moderators can see it.
No need, there is already one in the OT thread with a supermod participating.

Really, though, nonpaying members have to put up with whatever the site owners decide, unless they get creative with IE security settings or, my preference, load up Firefox with Ad Block Plus, which takes care of the annoying crap not only on this site, but many, many others as well.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,092 Posts
I don't see it, maybe because I have 'Flash Block' installed on my Firefox browser.

Musikmann, as a fellow lifetime premium member we were promised no ads, and to be honest the ad level is the same if I log on or not :mad:

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Thanks for info Greg, I see that thread now that you mention it.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need, there is already one in the OT thread with a supermod participating.

Really, though, nonpaying members have to put up with whatever the site owners decide, unless they get creative with IE security settings or, my preference, load up Firefox with Ad Block Plus, which takes care of the annoying crap not only on this site, but many, many others as well.

Greg
I've been a premium member, and I've been a regular member. I always got ads either way.

And I realize the site has to support itself, and I don't mind banner ads generally. But THIS ONE bothers the HELL out of me. It covers up my whole screen, won't let me read anything, and every time I go to reply it expands as I'm typing and grabs my cursor so I accidentally click on it...

This is not a typical banner ad.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
RedLiner, thanks for your info too.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I don't see it, maybe because I have 'Flash Block' installed on my Firefox browser.

Musikmann, as a fellow lifetime premium member we were promised no ads, and to be honest the ad level is the same if I log on or not :mad:
I thought as a PM there was a place to click in your profile to turn off all ads (or to turn them on)? But if you're running FF and ABP then you won't see them regardless whether you're logged in as you or as one of those spambot jackals. :D I rejected my PM status when I resigned as a mod, but I don't recall the ads being that bad back then anyway.

Greg

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I thought as a PM there was a place to click in your profile to turn off all ads (or to turn them on)?...Greg
Yes there is. Unfortunately that ad does not turn off for me and I have the BW ad block enabled.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I am using FireFox under Linux and I'm able to avoid those junk ads like Edumunds.
I still get ads from BM vendors like COR wheels (or AMS when Omey was a supporting vendor) which doesn't bother me as they are not intrusive.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
1,064 Posts
The banner was bothering me as well as I was going to post a thread, but I'm glad someone else did. Really annoying and it definitely has to go. Refreshing the page a few times makes the dammmm thing go away, but it's really annoying. Who's in charge???

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
That annoying Edmunds Ad actually expands and blocks the legit ads from supporting vendors. I think those BW Vendors should be complaining about it to whoever owns BenzWorld.

·
Registered
E350 Sport
1,459 Posts
i use google toolbar, which eliminates pop-ups but not his one.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
They (Edmund) are using flash. Try turning OFF your 'Flash' player.
While others also use Flash for their ads, they are not intrusive by expanding to block your screen.

I'll say : BOYCOTT Edmunds.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Problem is, if I disable flash entirely, then nothing works on other sites that use flash when I actually want it to. This ad is SO ridiculously annoying, it HAS to go. Who approved this effin' thing in the first place?

·
Registered
1993 500SL
272 Posts
I use firefox with a AD block program addon and I don't have any issues. Dont get any ads what so ever.

·
Registered
'01 R129 SL500 & '08 W204 C300
94 Posts
I agree with the rest, this ad slows up my computer. It always appears when I'm trying to type or read a post etc... it's almost a deal breaker for me, hopefully someone with some pull will remove it or reduce the thing altogether. IMO excessive ads like this are really tacky and don't belong on a premium brand discussion board. I could see if this were a GM, Ford or Hyundai forum but it's down right atrocious for this site. You never see ads like this all over the F-Car & P-Car boards. Also this site should be making enough $$$ off the paying members in the first place.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts