Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know who to thank as I can't seem to find out who posted, so Thanks whoever. :)

I made a post quite some time ago about how many cranks your 190 takes before firing. Mine always starts just fine but I always felt ( since 30K ) it should start basically instantly on Key. She does on occasion but normal is about a 2 second crank - 2 -3 revolutions or so as best guess.

Someone mentioned turn the key on but wait until you hear the fuel pump stop, well, I can't hear it anyway, never have. But just turning the key to on but hold 1, 2 and then start she fires on key, hot cold or otherwise just like I thought she would and could.

So, Thanks again. BTW - what this is telling me is the fuel pressure is dropping or not holding its pressure while the motor/pump is not on. Even once started or even warmed up, shut her off and restart it's the same deal. She never starves for fuel nor are there any visible leaks. I don't know how the system works exactly but I think there might be a check valve somewhere, rings a bell anyway and something to check out.

I did find in the manual one day that up to a 4 second crank for one of the two ignitions systems is normal. BS.... I don't like that. I don't recall which ignitions system it was referring to, but I know at the time I looked it wasn't mine.

If you have a 2 second crank, give it go and see what your results are. Either wait 2 or spend 2 cranking....

Regards
Dan

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There are external factors to consider such as barometric pressure, temperature that effect starting on these old machines; in addition the entire fuel distribution system has undergone slight deterioration over the years; the fuel pumps aren't as vigorous, the accumulator loses strength etc. It's the second law of thermodynamics: everything is in a state of entropy.

With my '89 190e 2.6, I turn the key on until I hear the fuel pumps then I turn it off and then I turn it on again to hear the pumps then start; there is usually a 2 second delay for a cold start. From a warm start I just turn to start and starting is immediate. But there are variations: sometimes from a cold start I just turn the key to start and starting is immediate. I think the ambient temperature has something to do with this. When the motor has reached 80 degrees Celsius and I leave the engine off for say a half hour, then there is a 3-4 second delay sometimes. But I am just glad the car starts at all considering its age.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are external factors to consider such as barometric pressure, temperature that effect starting on these old machines; in addition the entire fuel distribution system has undergone slight deterioration over the years; the fuel pumps aren't as vigorous, the accumulator loses strength etc. It's the second law of thermodynamics: everything is in a state of entropy.

With my '89 190e 2.6, I turn the key on until I hear the fuel pumps then I turn it off and then I turn it on again to hear the pumps then start; there is usually a 2 second delay for a cold start. From a warm start I just turn to start and starting is immediate. But there are variations: sometimes from a cold start I just turn the key to start and starting is immediate. I think the ambient temperature has something to do with this. When the motor has reached 80 degrees Celsius and I leave the engine off for say a half hour, then there is a 3-4 second delay sometimes. But I am just glad the car starts at all considering its age.
I agree, glad it starts of course. She has never left me stranded, only real problem was the time the fuse blew on the OVP , just trying to improve the start even though it's currently acceptable.

Manual has mmmm 6 pages on how to check the system and one is holding 3 bar for 30 mins after stopping the engine. Need a gage with tee connections, Lambra again and so on. Other stuff to do, maybe one day I will give it go.

And Thanks as best guess goes to MTI /Kynyption- not a full proof method as I am finding out but better none the less.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts