Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S430 AMG wannabe
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is an awsome website (and forum!), and I wish something like this existed back in the 80s and 90s when I was in the MBZ game.

Went to the dealer for some bogus recall (voltage regulator and some weather stripping), and I also wanted them to take off Teleaid SOS (which they did thanks to the Star bulletin). They did not have weather stripping in stock (they knew I was coming a week in advance for that recall!!), and it took them 4,5 hours to change the voltage regulator, and take care of the Teleaid.

Of course they found "problems" with my car! Front brake pads are at 10% (recomended change $265.-), transmission mount (replace for $145), and transmission service (with leaky connector $425). That's about $900 with tax, and "IF" the rotors "need" to be replaced, brake job jumps up to $775.

I'm sure if I was to give them the car, the rotors would "need" to be replaced.

Well,.....thanks to this forum, I bought all the parts from Autohaus, for $208 (including 9 litres of recommended tranny fluid), and using the "how to" guides on this forum, replaced everything in less than four hours!

Airconditioned garage, music on, ........just the way I like to spend Friday mid day!

I pity the people that have to pay the dealer's price.

She is all OK now (my 02 S430), and when some other "problem" shows up, I'm sure I will not get taken by the dealer. Like I said,.....I wish Internet was invented by Al Gore (joke) many years before!!

Thanks again.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
You should have the dealership install the weather stripping to avoid rust problems starting in the lower doors.

My car will need new tranny and engine mounts within the next year or so - $800 parts & labor from an Indy.

My latest dealer horror story occurred with my '78 450SL. The whole story is at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1642872-predictable-shutdown-4.html but the wrap-up is at posts 31 and 32. It is every bit as bad as yours if not worse.

I am still angry over the cavalier treatment - something that particular dealer had not done before, but there is a new service manager - so my '05, for the first time since I owner her, went to an Indy for 50,000 mile service in June.

·
Registered
S500 | 220.175 | 113.960
363 Posts
How do you gentlemen know if your mounts are failing.
Vibrations, sounds? Engine rocking back n forth when switching gears?

I know I will continue owning the W220 for next couple of years, but I need to be prepared for this,
What do we look out for when tyranny and engine mounts fail?

Thank you

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
348 Posts
How do you gentlemen know if your mounts are failing.
Vibrations, sounds? Engine rocking back n forth when switching gears?

I know I will continue owning the W220 for next couple of years, but I need to be prepared for this,
What do we look out for when tyranny and engine mounts fail?

Thank you
to test the engine mounts, they are oil filled. If they break you get a brown stain over them. If they are still intact but you suspect they are bad, then rock the engine from side to side yourself by grabbing the top of your engine. You should not be able to rock the engine more than rocking the car.
Also, tranny mount is available online for about $40 or less and very easy to change yourself. Any garage can change the engine mounts. You can buy them online cheap and have someone else install them and not have to pay stealer prices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts