1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello

I was wondering if anyone know how to bench test a wheel speed senor,
I have a c280 ,, I am getting weirdo speedo readings and ASR ABS
turning fully off, I have replaced battery, voltage reg and over voltage relay ,, No codes with cheap OBD2 scanner and no Check engine light ,
I suspect a faulty wheel sensor and would like to test them

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello

Yes i cleaned every wheel sensor , everyone was 100% covered in metal shavings
the tach needle is smooth never a jump, the alt is new and no running problems

·
Registered
'82 300td (sold)
304 Posts
I attended an MBCA StarTech session 10 years ago on ABS sensors. The point of the session was that the wire leads on the sensors can develop internal breaks, especially the ones on the front wheels, which are subject to flexing from the steering function. The test procedure was to connect an ohmmeter or continuity tester to the wire terminals and then flex along the length of the lead. If you hit a break the continuity will be interrupted or fluctuate. If the ohmmeter jumps when you flex the lead at a certain point, you've found the failure.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
I attended an MBCA StarTech session 10 years ago on ABS sensors. The point of the session was that the wire leads on the sensors can develop internal breaks, especially the ones on the front wheels, which are subject to flexing from the steering function. The test procedure was to connect an ohmmeter or continuity tester to the wire terminals and then flex along the length of the lead. If you hit a break the continuity will be interrupted or fluctuate. If the ohmmeter jumps when you flex the lead at a certain point, you've found the failure.
excellent info!:bowdown:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts