Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GLK350W4, 2006 E350, 1968 250SL
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a completely de-badged 560 SEC with the 'testarossa' style wide body kit, 154,000 miles, really sweet BBS wheels, it's black with a burgundy interior. (pics aren't great, just clicked them quickly w/ my iPhone)

According to the techs who have been at work for many years, this car used to be a sort of 'bowling ball purple' color.. big metallic flakes in a deep sort of wine / purple color, it was repainted black about 15 years ago.

Rumor has it that it's being prepared to go to the Barrett-Jackson Auction in AZ in January. I can't imagine the guy will get too much for it there, but it's probably as good a place as any to try to sell such a car.

I was surprised to see this, so rare to even see 126 cars in for service, but to see one of these, very rare indeed.

It still belongs to a former MN Twins player who bought it after they won the world series in 1987, and man, was this like the coolest thing you could buy back then or what? The styling looks as dated as Don Johnson's pink tank top and white linen pants, but it has been well maintained, and probably has a lot of life left... cool car.

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
1,000 Posts
Almost looks like a lift-off hardtop, if you look at the C pillar.

I lived in Hutchinson, MN until '87, moved just in time to miss the World Series hoopla for the Twins. Still have a Homer Hanky, though.

I *love* how the Minnesota plate never changes, at all. (I gotta get my folks to scan the pic of me at age 3 with our new '78 Accord, with the exact same plate design (doesn't have the state outline in the center, but that's all that changed in 32 years!!)

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,079 Posts
This must be one of the rare convertible WB´s!

Look at his -> 1986 MERCEDES-BENZ 560 SEC KOENIG SPECIAL For Sale :: AutaBuy.com

1986 MERCEDES-BENZ 560 SEC KOENIG SPECIAL
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEC Koenig Special. 5.6L V8, 4 speed auto, alarm, power everything, cruise control, climate control, power sunroof, heated seats, has the hardtop with sunroof and also comes with a softtop. It has been kept in pristine condition by two well known baseball players. '86 MERCEDES-BENZ 560 SEC KOENIG SPECIAL '86 MERCEDES-BENZ 560 SEC KOENIG SPECIAL
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEC Koenig Special. 5.6L V8, 4 speed auto, alarm, power everything, cruise control, climate control, power sunroof, heated seats, has the hardtop with sunroof and also comes with a softtop. It has been kept in pristine condition by two well known baseball players.
Price: $34,000.
Call Hooked on Classics
952-446-1950 WATERTOWN, MN

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
Cool car. I'd drive it around.. I'd end up selling it but it would be fun for a while.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is indeed the same car... I did some checking with the techs here that have serviced this car all its life... it is the removable hard top / convertible model. But $34k?

I bet is goes for less than $10k if it is indeed going out to Barrett-Jackson. If it had super low miles and true collector potential, at this point it's a very non stock, high mile car.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
hang on while i go get my MC Hammer pants

they are period-correct and will match that flare in the quarter panels :D

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
visual aids

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
pretty sure I know that car..does it have the removable hard top?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does have the removable hard top. I'm assuing it's BJ in January (AZ) as that's next on their calendar, I don't know that for sure, but that's what I was told by one of the guys here.

As was previously posted on this thread... it was for sale locally here in MN recently for $34k. Man, I think he'll be lucky to get 1/3 of that. Most of the stuff at BJ AZ goes with no reserve... he'll be disapointed if he's expecting big money... rare or not... these aren't exactly in favor at the moment, no matter how cool they were back int eh day, and it's a high mile car.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
yea, I know that car..took it for a drive etc.. has Some issues, not horrible though. Bone stock engine which was kinda the meh point.

Yea, I'll wager that BJ will go poorly for him....very limited audience and I don't see them showing up there.

I was thrilled when the PO of my Hammer decided to go there..talk about wrong venue!

jono

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd take photos of the interior, but it's just a regular old stock 560 SEC interior, it does have white face gauges and a late 80s era car phone in the console area, but other than that... Plain Jane 560. It's in good shape, better shape than most 150k mile 560s I see, but nothing crazy special. Color is Maroon / Burgandy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts