Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local MB dealer yesterday to get some info on the E55, he told me he had a new one sitting in the showroom (silver/black) and told me to come by for test drive. I did not have a lot of time but I dropped by to take a look at it, next thing I know I am behind the wheel pushing the car hard. The car is rock solid, with plenty of power. I was shocked by how hard the car would pull from light all the way up to 85mph. The shift from 2nd to 3rd was amazing, lightning quick, best automatic I have ever driven. By the time we made back to the dealer, you could smell the burnt rubber from the tires.<p>Now the bad news, he is asking 10k over sticker, I wont pay that much considering a black E55 from a different dealer will be available in April for MSRP. I like the silver better, so I am going to try to get this guy to come down on price<p>The car is simply amazing, I envy all you guys who already have one. I wish I never dropped off the list in the first place, but I might be joining the club very shortly.<p>Thanks.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this a used car or new? Who is your MB dealer? It was my understanding from my dealer when I bought my 2001 E55 that they were not allowed to mark up their new cars over MSRP.<p>You may want to contact Mercedes-Benz USA and report them.<p>I have read many posts about BMW gouging their buyers for $25k over MSRP for an M5 and $7,500 over on an M3 but no one has ever mentioned a MB dealer doing this. Everyone I've talked to has paid MSRP.<p>If it's used, they can do whatever they want with it price-wise, whatever the market will bear.<p>I own a Brilliant silver, with the charcoal/silver two tone interior. I've only had it a week and I feel like sleeping in the garage with it! (if it wasn't 20 degrees out). I paid MSRP for mine and got it off a cancellation. It was on the showroom floor less than 6 hours when I bought it!<p>I don't miss my corvette a bit (yet)! Now I can take people out to lunch at work in comfort and style.<p>I was torn between the silver and black myself. I would have taken either, but silver is what they had. Now I can't imagine a more beautiful color on a benz.<p>Good luck!<p>By the way, you can see pictures of mine at:<br>http://www.mbworld.org/forum/w210/board/home.html<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We told you so :) ...

Bill, <p>DO NOT PAY OVER STICKER ... you don't have to!<p>If your local dealer is standing firm on the inflated price, let us call OUR local dealers (most of us with a '01 E55 "only" paid sticker) and get the skinny on what's on the ground or coming into port.<p>I live in Florida (got the same inflated prices from dealers here) and bought my Beast in NJ @ sticker, and drove it down (was going to ship it, covered carrier, 1200 miles, for $650 but test drove it and said screw the carrier ... I'm driving this home!).<p>For instance: 'E55 2 Fast' (Ryan) has one in Boston, and I'm sure between all of us, we can find you one at sticker sitting at a dealer right now just waiting for you to pick it up!<p>Let us know.<p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MB Dealers 'can' sell over sticker ...

... so my dealer told me, but those who are reputable choose not to. <p>From what I've been told by my dealer, MB dealers are 'specifically restrained' ONLY from 'soliciting' customers in another franchised dealers territory. <p>However, they are only 'advised against' selling to customers in another franchised dealers territory and marking cars up over sticker. <p>BTW: for the first week after I tucked the Beast in my garage, I would be out there every night, reading the ownner's manual and experimenting, and reading posts from the boards, and running out there to check!<p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: Is this a used car or new? Who is your MB dealer? It was my understanding from my dealer when I bought my 2001 E55 that they were not allowed to mark up their new cars over MSRP.<p>You may want to contact Mercedes-Benz USA and report them.<p>I have read many posts about BMW gouging their buyers for $25k over MSRP for an M5 and $7,500 over on an M3 but no one has ever mentioned a MB dealer doing this. Everyone I've talked to has paid MSRP.<p>If it's used, they can do whatever they want with it price-wise, whatever the market will bear.<p>I own a Brilliant silver, with the charcoal/silver two tone interior. I've only had it a week and I feel like sleeping in the garage with it! (if it wasn't 20 degrees out). I paid MSRP for mine and got it off a cancellation. It was on the showroom floor less than 6 hours when I bought it!<p>I don't miss my corvette a bit (yet)! Now I can take people out to lunch at work in comfort and style.<p>I was torn between the silver and black myself. I would have taken either, but silver is what they had. Now I can't imagine a more beautiful color on a benz.<p>Good luck!<p>By the way, you can see pictures of mine at:<br>http://www.mbworld.org/forum/w210/board/home.html<br><p>In talking with three MB dealers, if you walk in and order an E55 (assuming you can get on the list), they will sell it at MSRP. If you walk onto the dealer's lot and he/she has a new or used E55, the dealer can ask whatever he/she feels the market will bear. Get on a list. With the way the stock market has ben performing lately, there will probably be cancellations. If you're on the list and you have a good repore with the dealer, you might find yourself being called and asked if you would like to purchase an E55 sooner than you thought.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer has a 2001 coming in at MSRP

Apparently on order for someone else who got caught in the downward stock market or just can't make up his mind. Dealership is here in North Jersey...contact me directly for details if interested. SD

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: MB Dealers 'can' sell over sticker ...

I guess I have a pretty good dealer then. MB of West Bloomfield, Mi does not ask over MSRP on any of their cars at least that's what the salesmen tikd ne. In fact (and this could be just a salesmen's line), they claimed they had an out of state broker willing to pay them $8,000 over MSRP for the car but they would not sell it to him because they would lose their allocation from Mercedes.<p>They do however sometimes force you to lease (vs. purchase) a hot item car if it comes off a cancellation. They had a CLK430 Cab that they were requiring a lease. I had been working with the dealership for 4 months on a 430 Cab when the E55 became available. The sales manager cut me a break and let me purchase the car. They even gave me a CD changer at cost and free installation: $550 installed.<p>I now have a 2002 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet on order for sometime next year. I love my E55 though, so we'll see how I feel next year when CLK55 comes in.<p>I had an excellent experience with them and a great salesmen (Mirko G.). I think he was almost as excited as I was about the car.<p>Good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Just curious ... why would a dealer want you to lease instead of buy? (nt)

Not for sure but here's my theory: Because they get the car back in 2 years and can resell it at a big profit. Unless of course you opt to buy out the car at residual (and you'd be a fool not to). I'm sure they get a % of the lease interest as well.<p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts