Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove a 1998 c43 today. The car has 103k mi. and a new tranny put in at 65k mi. Immediately I noticed that it shifted harsh. I had no prior knowledge of the tranny problems I see noted in these forums. What's with these tranny's? I also have read alot about mass airflow sensor problems. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
C36 AMG 1995
37 Posts
Hello

The up shift on the C36 regardless of four or five speed boxes should be smooth and precise. No jerkyness. (Unless your booting it obviously)

A re-build or replacement will cost huge amounts of hard earned, so any doubt's then just walk.

Take it Easy:)

·
Registered
C32 AMG
10 Posts
I owned a C43 for over 2 years and to be honest the Up and Down shift should be smooth. When driving at normal speeds (grandad style), the shifts are barely noticable.

The Shifts shoulkd remain smooth even when you make that V8 Sing - redlining in every gear. If you find that the shifts happen with a thump, it me be resolved by having the transmission remapped at a merc dealer.

Regarding the MAF sensor fault, this is quite comon but the good news is that it dont cost a lot to change nowadays.

The C43 ransmission has always been a weak point, some say that changing the Tranny fluid every 50K miles increases the longevity of the gearbox. I had my Fluid changed at 60K Miles and I did notice smoother and faster shifts.

Personally, I'd give this one a miss and find one where the Gear shifts are smooth.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts