Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This SUV is very luxurious and rides nice. I was very disappointed with the acceleration. It would downshift but then barely accelerated. It did this on side roads and the highway. Maybe my expectations were too high but I would not buy this SUV because the performance was very lackluster.

I test drove a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD V8 Hemi the same day. That SUV rocks! Loved the acceleration. I did drive the Jeep first so maybe that is why the GL seemed like a dog?

Your thoughts?

And then we went home in my wife's C300. Damn that care is sweet! Love driving it.

·
Registered
06 CLS500 and 07 GL450
78 Posts
Its a suv, if wanted an suv for performance I get a ML63. The GL and Cherokee are two different classes. The GL is a full size 7 passenger and the Jeep is mid size. Compare a GL to a Escalade or Tahoe. Compare a ML to Cherokee.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really wanted to like the GL450. Unfortunately the acceleration is just not there for the money you pay. Maybe there was something wrong with the one I drove.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
The GL450 does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds while the new 2012 Cherokee with the Hemi does it in 6.1 seconds. Try the GL550. It is even quicker than the Cherokee. If speed is what you are after, wait until the GL63 AMG is released and give it a try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no way the one I drove was doing that kind of 0 - 60 time. I'm not looking for neck break speed out of an SUV. There is no way I'd pay MB prices for the experience I had with the test drive on that GL. I'd literally mash the gas, it would downshift and then barely accelerate.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
There is no way the one I drove was doing that kind of 0 - 60 time. I'm not looking for neck break speed out of an SUV. There is no way I'd pay MB prices for the experience I had with the test drive on that GL. I'd literally mash the gas, it would downshift and then barely accelerate.
Something is probably wrong. The GL450 is actually quick for a seven seat SUV.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This SUV is very luxurious and rides nice. I was very disappointed with the acceleration. It would downshift but then barely accelerated. It did this on side roads and the highway. Maybe my expectations were too high but I would not buy this SUV because the performance was very lackluster.

I test drove a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD V8 Hemi the same day. That SUV rocks! Loved the acceleration. I did drive the Jeep first so maybe that is why the GL seemed like a dog?

Your thoughts?

And then we went home in my wife's C300. Damn that care is sweet! Love driving it.
Go to the jeep website and you will see all the problems that they are having with the new jeep grand Cherokee at jeepgarage.org

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
Go to the jeep website and you will see all the problems that they are having with the new jeep grand Cherokee at jeepgarage.org
It's the first model year. Search around here to see how the 2007 GLs are faring. :)

- Mark

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It's the first model year. Search around here to see how the 2007 GLs are faring. :)

- Mark
My 2007 has been one of the best cars I've owned. In fact, I don't plan on getting rid of it for a long time.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
its an awd brick of a minivan. why would you think it would be racecar(tm)?

the cherokee isnt in the same size even. it is ML sized

GL is marketed against i guess infiniti QX, lincoln navigator, or close to those anyway. it is between midsize and fullsize SUV, fitting in neither, but closer to full than mid.

the hemi is a special trim level. so you are comparing nothing to nothing. im sure mercedes is losing sleep over you not buying one.

nothing wrong with 1st year models. because the 2nd and 3rd year are exactly the same. if you are looking at the late cycle revamps, that puts you behind several years. but waiting a year to not get the initial production is hilarious, because you are still buying the exact vehicle.

my personal gripe with the 2007s is the mirror size. im surprised people arent swapping them for the newer larger ones in a frenzy. blind spots like the titanic

·
Registered
2007 GL450 // 2006 CLK500 Convertible
2 Posts
Make that 2 data points. Nothing but luck with my '07 GL.

Am now at 50k miles and aside from new tires and tranny oil flush (reg maintenance schedule), it still runs like new.

I hear problems are often found with the air-matic suspension, but aside from a ride-height adjustment that was needed with the new tires and a new link for the stabilization bar (under warranty), I've had no issues with it.

Minor issues so far:
• The battery is on its last year, having a hard time on very cold days.
• Rear hatch (electric) is starting to act funny, starts closing the hatch then goes back up; will have it fixed before the all-inclusive warranty ends.
• Rear passenger door child-lock button busted and fell into the door (they are arguing with me on whether or not this is under warranty) - $350 + labor
• Front passenger air vent broken (no idea how that happened...) -$250 + labor

Conceptual flaw
• As usual, my gripe with MB, Audi and BMW is about on-board electronics, which plainly sucks compared to what is offered by Lexus (Command console is a total joke). Even American cars are better now with this regard, from Ford to GM to Chrysler.

@gyrate: about mirror sizes; I had humongous mirrors on my GX and I'd never want to go back to those. The wind noise was perceptible at 50mph and became quite annoying at 65+ mph.

·
Registered
Wife - 08 GL450, Me - 01 4Runner
8 Posts
I just bought an 08 GL450 for my wife. Prior to test driving I was excited to experience the performance with quotes like "muscle car of its class," "silky smooth bruiser," etc. from reputable reviews. However, I was honestly underwhelmed with it's performance on my initial test drive. Obviously we bought one anyways.

Since then my impressions on its performance have changed; I'm now somewhat impressed after driving it for 3 months. I think what initially underwhelmed me was its somewhat sluggish throttle response, mainly due to (IMO) conservative transmission programming, often times being in a gear or two higher than I would like, and its reluctance to kick down. Of course I think this translates to better fuel economy, which arguably isn't terrible for a 5K+ lbs. SUV. I think a sport mode setting would have been a nice standard feature, but the paddle shifters do the trick if you have the foresight.

Where the performance does shine IMO is off the line where the close ratio 7-speed shifts quick and keeps the engine in its power range. Highway acceleration is also strong after you've mashed the pedal hard enough and given it time to kick down - doesn't put you into the back of your seat, but the spedo climbs quickly.

And of course it's a huge SUV, and at this point I'm starting to feel a little silly being so concerned with the performance aspects of it. However that doesn't stop me from hoping the Escalade next to me at the light will challenge me with a rev - then I realize the driver is a 30-something soccer mom w/ starbucks in one hand, cell in the other and a load of babies in the back...and my own 2-year old in the back of mine...then I feel silly again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts