Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
WOW! If you buy six of them You'd never have to buy gasoline again......LOL!
I think something like this was tried on Myth Busters and found to absolutely no good ...except to stuff the pockets of the seller. Same with the magnets.

I got a better idea. Just drive 50-55, no jack rabbit starts and no panic braking. Coast when you can and you too can be a Hypermiler.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm with Chadahar, it's a scam.

Don't drive like a bonehead, it's really quite simple. When the light half a mile ahead turns red, back off. Duh.

Oh, and the hardcore hypermiling morons fail to realize they cost themselves as much, if not more, in excess wear and repairs due to how they save fuel. Sure, you can take a typical right turn at 28 MPH, but that's a bit hard on the tires, front end, bushings all around, and your passengers are gonna be more than a bit miffed.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Edit - I have a partial retraction below:

_ALL_ bolt on devices that improve "combustion" are scams. This is going back to the 50's at least. The sellers are betting that most people are ignorant of the simple fact that IC engines are about as efficient as physics allow.

Even 30 years ago there wasn't that much improvement that could be made over a well tuned carburated engine. Electronic controls and fuel injection allowed for peak tuning during all conditions (changes in temperature and air pressure). They didn't magically decrease fuel usage/HP that much assuming the same engine design and configuration.

The waste is the heat going out the tailpipe and radiator. Not unburnt fuel.

Edit - I'm wrong here. I actually read the article in detail. The claim was not for gasoline engines (which I still maintain would probably be a scam) but for diesel engines. And 1980's style mechanical injection in particular. In this case this claim could be valid as there have been material improvements in diesel efficiency due to changes in injection methods in the past decade. It appears that they are claiming that it is possible to bring an "old style" injection method to be as efficient as a "new style". The improvement range is between 5% and 15% depending on load and engine. Assuming the authors have good, well, authority this would be well worth further study.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
At my first sight I thought the same - another scam. After reading it through, particularly noticing the fact that it's a research report published on ACS (American Chemical Society - a congressionally chartered independent membership organization which represents professionals in all fields of chemistry and sciences that involve chemistry) in September issue this year, with real example of MB 300D; AND from a group of physicists in a university, my mind was knocked a bit... I cannot rule out the possibility of scam but it might be real and worth study further. I'll try to get hold of those guys/scientists who presented the article for further inquiry. I'll come back with you if I find it's promising... 20% (+-5%) improvement isn't a bad number to me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
To implement you would have to have custom made injectors plus their voltage system. As a WAG let's say a retail price of $2k. It would take at least 10 years to pay for itself in cars but this system could find a substantial demand in older tractor-trucks and in ships. It could easily pay for itself in a year in a tractor rig.

The most impressive issue is not the improvement itself. As I noted above newer injection systems provide similar improvements. But that it can be easily and simply added to older systems. The only mechanical change is the new injectors.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
This system has in no way been tested by mythbusters... You can't really get a hold of these items just yet...it's still in R&D.

ACS is Well respected and I'd wager unless they are fiddling around w/ the #'s (Mighty risky esp. with this sort of research) there's a good chance we may see this sort of thing come to fruition in the future!

Jonathan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts