Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
3phase-4pole
4,882 Posts
And I think that’s where the disconnect is. One camp is coming from a design/engineering exercise while the other camp is from a personal finance feasibility stand point.

Financially it wouldnt make sense let’s be clear. But given the resources and know-how I will do it anyway (ok maybe not the 140 perhaps a smaller more nimble car like an E30 or a single cab shortbed pickup)

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Jon,

I'm going to push your buttons a bit...

At a "penny a hour" our cars look great, and are in great standing shape. Look at the fine work you have done, myself and others have done, but at a "penny a hour", so at a penny a hour it makes total sense because if one pays someone $50/$100 or $200Hr yea it does not make sense.... Look what happen to your buddy with the Gen1 audio system that paid $1k for the amp rebuild? Not worth it...

At a penny hour to penny a hour it is worth it, or apples to apples, but not apples to oranges... hehehehe....

Yea, I would not try it on the W140 bad example, yet these cars that came with BIG engines, and with fuel tanks that are inside make great candidates, but need to be somewhat light. My ideal thing would be to swap out the rear sub frame/drive train with a Tesla unit, but those Tesla's have a extra wide wheel base, yet even the Model3 is wide. I would try it on a early 90's E-Class or a R129. A model 3 has normal shocks no fancy air suspension like a W220 that a Model-S has.

The CAN bus thing is not a big deal, but really one has to trip a flag from a sensor to simulate the engine is on, so the electronics thinks the "engine is on". It is possible as many of Vicktor repair videos on throttle bodies he has the MB ECU's cycling them. The CAN Bus stuff much is available to hack into at a modular level, and how to do it...

I would be jumping up in joy if I just got 50mile per charge, but over 100 miles send me to the moon. Closer to 200 miles per charge I'm Pluto hehehehe
I'm not interested if I have Super Charger access, yet what i would do is make it so I can use the "City & County Chargers" and the ones at the Large Corporations. I plan to work for a city or government agency, and I can drive home on a full charge, and power my home in the evening on some of that Three-Phase power.

Yet, I have access to a frame machine. Pretty decent welder now. I would like to use a Model-3 rear-end(suspension/motor/controller/half shafts/etc...) Weld in some new shock towers, and new sub-frame mounts...

Who knows what this world will be like after this virus. I would do this even I owned half-dozen Tesla's the challenge to go into the unknown is who I am, but I get some go running under rocks, or just happy where they are at. That is OKAY.

Everyone Stay Safe..

Martin

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
734 Posts
I agree with previous comment stating the engine is the most reliable part of a W140, this is true. after beating the living crap out of this v12, I'm amazed. it shrugs it off like nothing, and just keeps running better. the running gear and suspension it pretty tough too, considering it's a 5000 lb. car with 108,000 miles.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts