Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Got the headliner back in. It's pretty sexy imo, I love the alcantara and it's just the same shade as the original I had.

I've cocked up the rear corners of the sunroof cut out a bit. It's hard to get it back up without the fabric looking a bit crap.
Never mind, I've not done one before and I'm not going to do it all again just because of that.
Overall I'm chuffed. Next, I might see about getting a nylon toothed cord as I've got an the bits for the rear sunshade apart from that. Someone mentioned you can use a Volvo antenna one I think as its NLA from MB. I'll need to run some wires to the accessory block up front, but it'll be nice to have added this optional extra.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,548 Posts
That looks fantastic!

Hope the Volvo rope works. You'll love the sunshade.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Mike, I was beavering away treating the boot linings with rubber and vinyl care stuff and realised I should've shared this tip with you. I use Autoglym rubber and vinyl care on car carpets. I clean them first, but then give them a good dose of that stuff and rub it in, on these nice Benz carpets I use my hands or a soft cloth.
Because of the synthetic element of the carpet, it really brings back the sheen, if that makes sense.

I use it like this on the wedding car fleet I manage, I have to wash them all too 😂 Also boss man sometimes gets dirty low mileage cars to sell and gets me to make them clean and pretty. This stuff is great even on that horrible carpet made of pubes on the cheap cars.

I did this to the boot liner and it came up soft and nice yesterday. Not bad considering it's lived on a mouldy swamp for however long 😁

Last night I dug out the boot floor mat and found out was dirty, cleaned it with an alkaline cleaner called G850, came up fab. When it's dry I'll use the vinyl stuff on it to bring back the softness.

Also did all the interior carpet of the SEC with it, looked lovely after. No stiff brush, it creates fluff on the pile and takes away the velour effect slightly.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,548 Posts
Mike, I was beavering away treating the boot linings with rubber and vinyl care stuff and realised I should've shared this tip with you. I use Autoglym rubber and vinyl care on car carpets. I clean them first, but then give them a good dose of that stuff and rub it in, on these nice Benz carpets I use my hands or a soft cloth.
Because of the synthetic element of the carpet, it really brings back the sheen, if that makes sense.

I use it like this on the wedding car fleet I manage, I have to wash them all too 😂 Also boss man sometimes gets dirty low mileage cars to sell and gets me to make them clean and pretty. This stuff is great even on that horrible carpet made of pubes on the cheap cars.

I did this to the boot liner and it came up soft and nice yesterday. Not bad considering it's lived on a mouldy swamp for however long 😁

Last night I dug out the boot floor mat and found out was dirty, cleaned it with an alkaline cleaner called G850, came up fab. When it's dry I'll use the vinyl stuff on it to bring back the softness.

Also did all the interior carpet of the SEC with it, looked lovely after. No stiff brush, it creates fluff on the pile and takes away the velour effect slightly.
You use the Autoglym on carpet? Interesting. Sounds like an amazing product. May have to give it a try.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yeah but just their vinyl care stuff that you'd normally use on black rubber trim etc. Makes the carpet pop and softens the pile.
I imagine many other similar products would work just as well.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Boot carpeting all back in. Not bad, considering this was a swimming pool with actual mushrooms in for years.
I love this cream beige lining but bloody hell now I've got a boot I can't put anything in 😂

I think I'll be buying some boxes to put in there asap. I put the black carpeting from an SEC in my SE. It's posh but very practical, you have no worries loading in your camping gear after a festival, and so on.

Anyway, its looking very posh now.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,548 Posts
Boot carpeting all back in. Not bad, considering this was a swimming pool with actual mushrooms in for years.
I love this cream beige lining but bloody hell now I've got a boot I can't put anything in 😂

I think I'll be buying some boxes to put in there asap. I put the black carpeting from an SEC in my SE. It's posh but very practical, you have no worries loading in your camping gear after a festival, and so on.

Anyway, its looking very posh now.
I feel your pain, Ian. I have the creme, too, and it looks like it should be in a Mercedes sales brochure.

I covered mine with a W116 mat I had, then cardboard. A friend had a bunch of wine bottle boxes so I got four, two for the SEC and two for the SEL.

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I redid the boot seal. Luckily it hasn't rained and so no water will have got underneath the seal. It's much better now, with appropriate 3M product. The stuff was black and the bond was strong.

To be honest I'd rather have used the MB glue I bought when I did the SE years ago. But it's a one size tin, it was about £40 back then, and you just use a bit for the one seal. The rest went off in the tin. But that stuff is good, really strong and really rubbery.
Anyway Mercedes dealers are closed because of the COVID virus thing so this will do.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Had my AC recharged. Old cannister of R12 in the back of the shed. Car blows cold! Drove it some today, bit of triple digits, its smoking a bit less, but still a bit after idle is all. My seatbelt presenters and central locking didn't work today. Very unusual. Probably need to wiggle a fuse, but I'll do it another day.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hmm I have a fuse 15 issue. I suspect the bood lid light cables. Had a bit of a fiddle today but it popped a fuse again. And there's a slow battery drain.

On a trip the other day I noticed a slight surge on only the very slightest throttle opening. Today I tweaked the eha very slightly clockwise on the adjustment screw. Car is very smooth again now. No idea why that was needed, it could be left over from a previous adjustment saga I had, intriguing though. Hopefully nothing else is going out of whack.
Unfortunately the tower mixture screw has been previously adjusted by I don't know who. I'd quite like to get the mixture set up on an analyser, that sort of stuff seems hard to come by now though. I did at one point have a horrible hesitation saga and replacing the eha was the fix. The new MB one needed adjustment clockwise on the screw to smooth out the hesitation though. Starting with a good baseline would enable future assessment using the way set out by H.D.

I've lost my tow hook cover. Boo. To make myself feel better I washed and waxed the car, cleaned under the bonnet most of the bodyshop dirt, and took it for a cruise.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Fuse 15 thing got more worrying since I used kickdown and the dome/overhead light came on for a period and shut off again. It only did this once during that acceleration.
I noticed it come on today and not turn off, as I was doing things around the car.

Investigated the cable to the light in the boot, and found a broken cable inside that sheath. Turns out its super easy to change, I snipped the whole cable and sheath from my parts car, fed it through easily and joined it with closed connectors and heat shrink. I took the bulb holder/switch for the light too since on the SEC one is the contacts for the bulb had broken off before my ownership and I had it on a list of things to do when I got around to it.

Took it for a drive, fuse didn't pop, no strange behaviour at all. Happy days, even the bulb in the replacement unit was good so I have a boot light now too. Very little effort.

Strange though, on my fuse label the dome light is on fuse two. So I don't understand why this would be affected.
Hopefully my battery won't drain now, I'll find out when I next need the car.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts