Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
W126 1990 500SE (ASR) & W126 1991 300SE
220 Posts
The problem with having the passenger seat forward, is that the arm rest falls in the wrong place for me. For such a big car, I would have expected more leg room. Mind you, I have the driver's seat all the way back.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Ah, thats exactly the reason I like it forwards - the arm rest :)

I'm little though. Yeah cars have got better over the years at having enormous legroom haven't they. Even the back of a Corsa has lots of room these days.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Quick oil change before MOT test and then front wheels freed off, right front proper jammed. I beat it with a hammer and big screwdriver until it eased off enough to spin the wheel.

Fannied around underneath with a bit of rustproofing and checking of MOT failure items like bushes etc, before my intrepid drive without brakes to the garage for new calipers and discs and then the annual test. (It's not had one for 3 years so I'm nervous now.)

Anyway using gears and handbrake I dropped it off safely. There's no traffic or very little. What little there was, was extremely annoying. Why today did I find all the people still waiting at a green light as I crept up behind them.. 😂

Cannot wait to be driving this thing again. 1st gear was fun across town at least. I managed not to press the brake pedal once. (It instantly locks up again.)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
It has passed it's MOT apart from the brakes on the front dragging. Dunno why they insisted on doing it that way round. Great garage though.
Front discs and calipers on order and I should have it back by Monday. Happy days.

I have all the stuff to re trim headliner in German alcantara now so I'll get on with that. As usual all the good stuff is super hard to get here so no 3M 8090 like I wanted. I found another ridiculously expensive 3M spray (£30 per can) so i have two of those as adhesive. Wish me luck, lol.

·
Registered
W126 1990 500SE (ASR) & W126 1991 300SE
220 Posts
I recently bought this for a small project I'm doing, but haven't used it yet. Not sure that it would be good enough for what you need, but the price was reasonable.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,548 Posts
It has passed it's MOT apart from the brakes on the front dragging. Dunno why they insisted on doing it that way round. Great garage though.
Front discs and calipers on order and I should have it back by Monday. Happy days.

I have all the stuff to re trim headliner in German alcantara now so I'll get on with that. As usual all the good stuff is super hard to get here so no 3M 8090 like I wanted. I found another ridiculously expensive 3M spray (£30 per can) so i have two of those as adhesive. Wish me luck, lol.
Congratulations, Ian. I imagine MOT causes similar stress that our smog checks do for me.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yeah totally Mike. Emissions is included although as non cat car of this year its a sensible limit.
We also have the rust fairy always trying to work its secret magic. Lol.

Nerve wracking, my garage must think I'm hilarious.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,548 Posts
Yeah totally Mike. Emissions is included although as non cat car of this year its a sensible limit.
We also have the rust fairy always trying to work its secret magic. Lol.

Nerve wracking, my garage must think I'm hilarious.
Same with my smog guy. He knows I sweat bullets every two years and is very supportive of my delicate condition when I come visit him.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Hahaha funny isn't it. They let me follow them around under the ramp and I can do a bit of rustproofing sometimes while I'm there.
I like to keep the fuel and brake metal lines protected and stuff, and that sort of thing is difficult without a ramp.

I wasn't there for this test, I had to leave it with them. I popped in today for a run down and no problems at all apparently just the brakes dragging.

Don't you just love how on these things you can leave them for three years and everything still works. Brakes notwithstanding 😂

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,548 Posts
Hahaha funny isn't it. They let me follow them around under the ramp and I can do a bit of rustproofing sometimes while I'm there.
I like to keep the fuel and brake metal lines protected and stuff, and that sort of thing is difficult without a ramp.

I wasn't there for this test, I had to leave it with them. I popped in today for a run down and no problems at all apparently just the brakes dragging.

Don't you just love how on these things you can leave them for three years and everything still works. Brakes notwithstanding 😂
YES. It's true love.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Been doing the headliner in alcantara. Got it from Germany on ebay, was cheap and came quick.

Bloody 3M spray, I wanted the 8090 I used for the bonnet pad, but it's so hard to find in the UK I gave up. Used 3M 77 instead, which does seem good. Time will tell. Over £30 a can, I've used two but need another. Ouch.. Still, cheap glue is pointless on this application.

I've not done one before but it's not very hard. It's shaping up well, not perfect but quite attractive.

The vinyl strip at the rear is a conundrum. Would definitely improve the look if it could be flat, but even with a heat gun I can't get it to be right. I may have to give up on that bit. It's not crispy but it's dry.

It does look nice enough without, but once fitted I don't like how the C pillar trims end of the strip isn't there to carry on the line.
Trouble is if I try, I'll mess up my lovely new alcantara and all that sanding and cleaning of the baseboard took me a while.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,548 Posts
Been doing the headliner on alcantara. Got it from Germany on ebay, was cheap and came quick.

Bloody 3M spray, I wanted the 8090 I used for the bonnet pad, but it's so hard to find in the UK I gave up. Used 3M 77 instead, which does seem good. Time will tell. Over £30 a can, I've used two but need another. Ouch.. Still, cheap glue is pointless on this application.

I've not done one before but it's not very hard. It's shaping up well, not perfect but quite attractive.

The vinyl strip at the rear is a conundrum. Would definitely improve the look if it could be flat, but even with a heat gun I can't get it to be right. I may have to give up on that bit. It's not crispy but it's dry.

It does look nice enough without, but once fitted I don't like how the C pillar trims end of the strip isn't there to carry on the line.
Trouble is if I try, I'll mess up my lovely new alcantara and all that sanding and cleaning of the baseboard took me a while.
You're a brave man, Ian. Looking good. Wish there was some answer to that vinyl strip. Isn't there someone out there who has one for you? magicbigdaddy? brian clifton?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I thought about that Mike. But if this one is dry, one from the land of parts aplenty would be fried crispy no doubt.

I guess I'll try a fit and see how it looks. Way better than before at least I'm sure.

On the coupe this strip is kind of superfluous in a way. Unlike the saloon version which is necessary and clips up. This one is just glued on over the headliner material.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Picked it up freshly MOT'd, put a load of fresh fuel in it and then took it out on the road.
It was awesome, went home to pick up my other half so we could go blasting around. It's a lot of fun winding this thing out, it makes a great noise too.

Then power washed the boot lining thoroughly in the yard. It's cream and needed cleaning. I have a new old stock boot floor mat too go on now it doesn't leak.
I'll put it all on the car when it's dried out.

Washed and sealed the paint. Cleaned the interior, bodyshop carpet marks all came out fine.

Very happy to have it back.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,548 Posts
Picked it up freshly MOT'd, put a load of fresh fuel in it and then took it out on the road.
It was awesome, went home to pick up my other half so we could go blasting around. It's a lot of fun winding this thing out, it makes a great noise too.

Then power washed the boot lining thoroughly in the yard. It's cream and needed cleaning. I have a new old stock boot floor mat too go on now it doesn't leak.
I'll put it all on the car when it's dried out.

Washed and sealed the paint. Cleaned the interior, bodyshop carpet marks all came out fine.

Very happy to have it back.
Very sweet car, Ian. They are such amazing drivers.

Very interested in hearing more about that new old stock boot floor mat. About a week after we got our SEC, wife brought home groceries and the olive oil had leaked all over the center of our PERFECT mushroom mat. I was devastated. Got it pretty clean but the nap was never the same.

So, how long ago did you get the mat? Wondering if they're still available.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Ah I got it from someone on a UK forum I think. Not from MB. I got all OCD about searching for one, mine didn't come with one.

One of the bits and pieces I got as it was going away to rust hospital. Glad I did that, got stuff ready rather try when I got it back. Got the new MB rear screen seal then, it's possible they're NLA now, if so I was lucky.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
That carpeting can take a real heavy cleaning with a power wash, but yeah I've spoilt the nap on the interior carpet in places a bit by using a stiff brush and /or just scrubbing too much. It can lose that velour quality can't it.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
359 Posts
Just saw this thread, rather just read it through. Congratulations Ian, great and successful quest. What's petrol costing these days? And when can we see photos of the cleaned up engine, 303 and all? Finally, could you actually buy a trunk lid lip just for the seal? Part no?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Stew, petrol is the cheapest it's been in years, because of the Covid thing. Its about £1.05 per litre. I've been tanking them up as you can imagine.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts