Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
IMAG0150.jpg IMAG0156.jpg IMAG0147.jpg IMAG0146.jpg

He's done a great job, I bought the lip panel from MB, he has fabricated all the tricky sections. Let's hope the window still fits, haha.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
632 Posts
Wow Ian, really incredible! Congratulations on such a terrific looking SEC! I'm glad you and the bodyshop man were able to get the rear windshield panel fitted. Did he coat the metal with a protective epoxy before paint? Is that diamond-pattern area masking material?

Also, was he able to safely remove the side window brightwork drip molding, remove the old mastic or at least mask off that portion, add new mastic, then reinstall the trim with no tape lines?

What do you intend to cover the headliner with? Would you consider Alcantara or a similar material, or the GAHH type that's like the original?

Has it sat unstarted for three years? Just wondering if there are any leaks under the car from seals shrinking.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I don't normally think starting a car in storage is the best idea as it can cause more damage than harm. But it was started every now and then to move it slightly in the shop, and i started it a few times and selected through the gears. I took it fresh petrol, and had already used ethanol free fuel. Just wanted to make sure though.

I changed the oil, coolant, trans fluid and brake fluid before it went in to sit there forever. Apart from the trans fluid, I'll probably change them all again when i get it back.

I doubt he removed the side moulding Drew. The material with diamond shapes on it is sound deadening apparently. I imagine the fabrication isn't overly pretty so he covered it up. I don't mind, as long as the parcel shelf fits back in OK.

I bought replacement good used rear window brightwork, so that will look a lot better. The original was marked and dented. A new fuel filler cap as the original had lost its locking tang so a locking fuel cap was needed.
I found a new old stock boot carpet too and had deep cleaned the other boot bits - it will have a lovely cream boot lining once again.
Really glad I bought a new MB window seal and boot seal beore it went away.
Can't decide on what to do the headliner with. I'd prefer the original style but it needs to be cheap and easy. I quite like perforated leather and have seen some like that on ebay, so maybe that.

One of the front brake calipers was dragging when it went to the shop, so the two front calipers will need replacing I expect. If I can afford it I'll get all four done at my friendly garage - I don't like doing brakes. Had all four replaced on my SE and was really surprised at how cheap it was. Obviously the annual safety and emissions test expired about three years ago. So theres that too.

Its got a lovely motor, valve seals need doing but it really sings and sounds fantastic with a straight through stainless exhaust into the standard rear silencer. There's an X pipe. Its a great combination actually and sounds lovely. Its oddly fast, very keen to go, and rock solid handling at triple digits. Lovely gearbox too, the later version seems way more responsive than the very smooth unit in my 86 SE, more eager to drop down.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,304 Posts
Looks really nice. Its nice when things come together and you appreciate the progress

·
Registered
W126 1990 500SE (ASR) & W126 1991 300SE
220 Posts
The car looks great - I wouldn't mind an SEC at some point, and that colour actually suits it. Personally I prefer the stock wheels you had earlier in the thread though. How was the AC after 3 years? I remember my AC guy telling me that I should always run it for about 10-15min per week, even in the winter, as it helps to lubricate everything.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Ah the AC stopped working a while ago. It has a slow leak, so with a top up would be fine.
It's unconverted though. Super cold when it works.

I think at least 20mins a month is recommended, yep.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,653 Posts
How was the AC after 3 years? I remember my AC guy telling me that I should always run it for about 10-15min per week, even in the winter, as it helps to lubricate everything.
In addition to the above, when the defroster function is used, the A/C compressor is engaged.

M

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So its back. Ran beautifully even after three years, but brakes dragging badly, vibrating enough I needed to stop, then overheated them anyway just before I got home (even at 20mph.) No matter, i expected pretty much that. New brakes all round it shall be.

Lovely motor in this thing. But as you can see in the pic, I've a lot of work to do under the bonnet. Always been a weakness on this one because some knob sprayed it with lacquer under there, over the lot. Its yellowed and flaking now. I once tried to jetwash some of it off with some small success. Anyway now its filthy too.

Got the interior back in. I'd removed the lot from the rear. Headliner still not in, I'll give it a go at trimming it, fabric is on the way.

Apart from the brakes, everything works perfectly. Oh and the air con needing a recharge of course. Great timing, virus lockdown and all.

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
380 Posts
Is the head liner cloth available as new for a SEC somewhere? Would like to replace that. Mine is beige.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,548 Posts
Nice car, Ian!

Yes, you certainly have your work cut out for you under the hood.

It looks like your car is suffering from the very common 'rear seat bottoms reversed' condition. I think you'll find a little pocket on the outboard corner of each of your rear seat bottoms. I believe this is for seat belt buckle storage. If you reverse the seat bottoms, your buckles should nest nicely into the little pocket and you'll avoid the dents in the leather that result from the buckle being stored as yours are.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks Mike, I'll have a look. It was pouring down today so I pretty much chucked it all in.

This kind of stuff is amazingly easy on these cars isn't it.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks Mike, I'll have a look. It was pouring down today so I pretty much chucked it all in.

This kind of stuff is amazingly easy on these cars isn't it.
You were right. How did I not spot that 😊 Thanks Mike.

IMAG0222.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
How does the rear leg room compare in an SEC to an SE and an SEL? Looks like SEL leg room or better.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Its cosy in the back of the SEC, two full grown adults can fit but the seats are right there. The SE you already have, its big but maybe not as big as you'd think in the back. And the SEL is enormous.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm disappointed with the leg room in my SE. There's almost none at all at the back.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yeah it was good for its day but rubbish now compared to moderns. Having said that I can easily get changed in the back of mine. I tend to have the passenger seat quite far forward though.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts