Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh yeah, forgot to check for the dials and sticker. I'll check it out in the morning.

·
Registered
currently no MBs
533 Posts
congrats on finding a really rare 420SEC, it looks very clean and the colors are great too. why don't you like the interior color? I think it is very nice.

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Looking forward to more pics. Funny to this American that you refer to the seat belt presenter as the "butler"! Some old guy named Worthington sitting in the back seat with a tux on handing you the seat belt?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well she passed the test with flying colours, even the emissions were good. Bit surprised but very pleased.

Chadahar, the stickers under the bonnet say M116.965 E42/E50. Does that mean much to you? It goes like stink from what i can tell, but the kickdown doesnt work a lot of the time. When it has kicked in its wicked. It seems a lot more punchy than my SE. I know it will have more power than that because the later 420's did.

Al, unfortunately my finances no longer allow me to drive the SE once a week to Devon. Apart from as a real treat. Took it on my birthday recently. Fun :) I am usually in my 2cv as it does 60mpg and has a great stereo.

Foolio, lol, i thought thats what i thought they were called. Jeeves?

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
YES!!!!! FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!

You have the elusive 420 ECE! Even more rare than just being a 420SEC. You lucked out. Your sticker should be exactly like the one on Rose as they used the same sticker for both cars. That is how I know ECE (or E42 per sticker) 420's existed. You will have a tuning dial behind the fuse box and one inside above the ECU in the Passenger footwell kick panel??? I am not familiar with RHD cars but would think that it would be there. Could be behind the driver's kickpanel on a RHD car. because your hand brake is in a different location. I just don't know, but welcome to the ECE club!

The wire to the kick down solenoid on the transmission may be wonky. PO of Blue Bird told me the day I picked her up that she didn't have FGS. I questioned that and on the drive home the Kick down did not work at all. Put her on a lift and low and behold the wire to the solenoid was severed. Fixed the wire and FGS (d-b-d shift at a light, (same function as a FGS switch or the E-S switch on the shift console) and kickdown returned.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cool, good to know. I havent noticed the tuning dials yet, but i know the ones you mean as the SE has them. They are in the passenger footwell of that one and also between the firewalls on that one.
Under the bonnet of this SEC is filthy. Despite that it seems really well looked after, even the mechanic said so.

Yeah i heard before that the kickdown wire can be easily severed. Not sure its that though as there are times it will do it. Not many and mainly at lower speeds. Absolutely stonking when it does though, much more seat of the pants. Wouldnt do it at all in top gear on the motorway.
I'll jack it up tomorrow and see what i can see.
It might be worth me swapping the kickdown button just to see if it works.

·
Registered
Mercedes 560 SEC UK spec
19 Posts
Nice one with the SEC.
Only trouble is - I've seen the light now, and you've paved the way with multiple S-classes.
I guess I'll be playing catch-up and will have to hunt down a SE for the four door effect.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well i've got the kickdown working okay now. Havent tried it on the motorway but on normal roads its been working fine. All i did was change the box inbetween the firewalls marked KPR with one from my spares car. Nice and punchy.

Changed the vacuum locking element with another spare as that wasnt working.
Cruise works as it should. Nice, i've had no joy at all with the cruise on my SE despite various different control boxes. A/C seems to work, bit feeble so i guess low on gas after sitting for a year. Even the clock works.

I still have to trace the source of an ugly rattling noise from the rear. It sounds as you'd expect a rattley exhaust to sound, only the exhaust is nice and tight. I've taken out all the boot trim but nothing amiss in there. I had hoped it would be a few tools rattling about in the boot wells but i guess not. Interestingly my SE has the beginnings of the same noise only MUCH quieter. I wonder whatbit could be. The suspension is nice and smooth. I have to whip the wheels off and look at the roll bar bushings just in case. Otherwise i wonder if it could be subframe bushings or something like that. Hope not. Very annoying noise anyway and the stereo doesnt work yet to drown it out!

Charlie, i looked at my SE sticker under the bonnet and it says M116.964, slightly different there, but also says E42/E50. I'm not sure if that really means its ECE spec, did they do those in '86?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Al. Hope its just that. Dark now and busy tomorrow so it'll have to wait.
If its that at least i'll know its that on the SE too. Been bugging me for a while but not had time to look at it either.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Yep my sticker from 1986 is for both models M116/M117(964,965, E42,E50) I am sure these are ECE as the dials say EZL-ECE. But the engines are 9:1 CR, as the 10:1 CR was only the 560 ECE.

I would like to know what ECE means. Maybe Teutone or Dr Grillz can enlighten us.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Heres some more pics. The interior ones are before clean up, the leather has come up quite nicely with a good cleaning. Theres a large hole in the driver seat bolster, usual place. I'll leave that until i can afford a new section to be put in i think, its not very fixable. The rest of the interior is all good, no cracks or faults anywhere apart from a couple of mini sags in the headlining.

I cant quite work out the colour. I thought it was grey, but it actually looks kind of faun as well. The VIN comes up a bit confusing but i think the colour code for the paint is 172, and i'm pretty sure thats anthracite. Maybe it depends on the light.

May have LSD too but again the VIN check is a bit wierd on epc and the Russian site for this car, so i'll have to look when i jack it up.

Hating the wheels on it now, make it look so mundane. I thought i liked them when i first saw the pics of the car, but in real life they look rubbish. Shame cos they are super easy to clean, which makes a change! I have a guy who will sell me a set of 15 hole alloys as per original equipment for £100, check them out tomorrow. I think they will look more classy than these 8 hole wheels.
And for now i think i can tolerate the ride height, it could be worse.

Just finished changing the bulbs in the speedo and gear shifter. And popped a new door courtesy lamp in as one was broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
currently no MBs
533 Posts
wow so clean. I love the color and the interior is sweet too. I thought you said it had a clothe interior? I actually like those wheels, aren't they from a w140? I think you did great with getting that coupe.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Nah the cloth was on the one that Alabbasi spotted. I didnt like the velour on that one. I like this cream leather, matches my SE.
Yeah the wheels are from later cars like the 140 i think, i like them well enough but on this car they somehow look a bit Hyundai..

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
that's a very nice example

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Congrats

Looks a splendid specimen, and a rare gem indeed! With just 3,680 built over the entire run - only 560SE's and 350D-types are rarer worldwide.

Most the 420SECs I've read about on here, seemed to be parts cars getting cannibalized down-under. Have to wonder just how many survivors there are still on the road - further subdivided by RHD units.

Anyway... a car could hardly ask for a better owner - lucky it :thumbsup:

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks guys.

261 of them in Britain, only 157 of them operational and on the road though.
www.howmanyleft.co.uk is quite a cool website. Actually not many 420SE's left here either, surprisingly.

They got parted a lot recently, about 3 years ago petrol went past £1 a litre, prices of 126's fell through the floor as the market was flooded, and we also had a kind of cash for clunkers thing. Prices have gone up a bit again now.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts