Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could really do without another car. I already have my SE, my Citroen and a parts car. And very little space or time or money!

But i just cant stop lookin at those SEC's.. I've bid on a few 500's or 560's. But it seems (in the UK) so has everyone else since they were put up as appreciating potential classics in Mercedes Enthusiast.

Seen this 420SEC, looks nice and its really cheap. I'm so tempted. I know it wont have the grunt of the 560 but its so purty...

Feel free to sway me one way or the other..

·
Registered
'91 420SEL
375 Posts
is it an SEC or SE? if its a coupe i'd go for it. i've never seen a 420SEC, but i do live in the US.

personally, i've been wanting an SEC. had the chance to buy one a few weeks ago, but someone else snatched it up. right now i'm looking at a particular R107 560SL.

i love my 420SEL. its so very reliable and easy to work on. parts are relatively cheap and they are built like tanks. you should know this well.

i'd like to see some pictures if you can post them of this car you're looking into.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yup, SEC. I mistitled it.

Yeah i love my 420SE. Its fast and comfortable and i love doing stuff to it.
But now i'm so used to it, it seems not so fast. Hence looking at 500's, 560's. But then petrol is about £1.35p a litre here, and my 420 does surprisingly well on my regular long journeys.

Its a nice 420SEC, in gunmetal, cream leather. It'll be a little faster than my '86 but not by much.

Gotta love those R107's too. I've bid on a couple SLC's my favourite. Rust issues with those here in the UK though.

The more i think about the SEC the more i want it.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Go for it. Sounds like a good car. Go look at it. You will fall in love with it I'm sure.

To my knowledge, the 420 SEC was not imported into the US. I could be wrong, but I have never seen one, and haven't seen any for sale. We got the 380, the 500 and the 560's though. not sure why we didn't get the 420SEC. Probably because MB didn't want anything else competing with the 500SEC at the time.

It should be the higher HP version due to the date. 420ECE???

·
Registered
1990 560SEL, Optimus Black Pearl baby !
554 Posts
Ah Ians got the w126 bug...

Short answer - go for it if it is a good car conditionwise.

Long answer - get a 560SEC.

Sorry if my long answer is shorter than my short answer but I've had a SEC and hanker for another one. Something about coupes. They look better a bit custom IMHO. Such as 3 piece AMG wheels, Spring kit, AMG kit AMG steering wheel, custom/AMG exhaust....

The 420 engine is a good compromise and is still a V8. Most 560's come with nice bits to play with, like all great gals.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
I've never found the allure behind the SECs. Sure, they're good looking in their own right. But, I think the sedans are just so much better. Then, again. I'm a sedan kind of person.

·
Registered
Mercedes 560 SEC UK spec
19 Posts
I don't know about the 420's, I was originally looking at 500SEC's as a good comprimise between power and running costs etc.

But I'm so glad I lucked out with the 560SEC.

I got about 22mpg driving easy from Glasgow to Hampshire. I'm reckoning on about 18mpg in more general driving.

Come and have a crawl all over mine, if you want to see what a cheap 560 is like.
I know cars well, but It'd work for me as I'm new to these Benz's, and would appreciate an experience eye.

Andy

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here she is. Havent picked it up yet. Pretty isnt it. I've asked as many questions as i can think of, seems in good order considering. Been out of use about a year.

Al, that 560 is about the same price. Would cost me a fair amount to get it to me from Jersey though. Shame. And i really dont like the brown velour. I'd suffer that for the engine though.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
The production numbers for the 420 SEC is listed at 451 for 1990 on the MB Coupes website.

Bit of a Rarey there Ian.

Total production of 420SEC is 3680. Far fewer than the 380SEC, The 380 SEC total production is far fewer than the 500SEC or the 560SEC.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,507 Posts
That is a very nice looking SEC, go for it Ian. Remove whatever parts you can from the donor SE you have and park this one and cover it up till you have the time/funds to get it back up and running.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Must be nice having two 420s to roll around in. Don't forget to show your SE some love too after picking up your new SEC! :p

·
Registered
1990 560SEL, Optimus Black Pearl baby !
554 Posts
Good work Ian ! Whats the plans for it?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys.

Plans, i dont know yet. Picking it up would be a start.. :)

Its super 4x4 high, that would be a good place to start. But i've stupidly spent all my last pennies on this, so no money whatsoever to do anything to it. I'll have to be content with polishing it for the time being.. Doubt i'll be able to afford to drive it anywhere much.

I also have yet to break it to my landlord that another car will be coming to stay. he's chilled out guy. Luckily :) Hopefully it'll be fine. If not i'll have to get rid of my parts car, its unbelievably useful though so i'd rather avoid that if i can.

Pick it up Sat/Sun so more pics will follow. As long as it gets home okay. Hasnt been used for a year. I'll have to get it though the UK yearly MOT test on Monday too. Cars arent allowed to drive here without it and its expired. You are allowed to drive a car to a prebooked test though so thats what i'll be doing. Its general safety and emissions, that kind of thing. It passed a year ago so thats sounding okay i guess.

I wonder if it'll drive much differently to my SE. Love the handling of that, its very chuckable for such a big car. Thats a bit lowered with wider wheels and new shocks though.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, picked it up today and considering its been sat for a year, its lovely.
The engine is sweet, strong, starts first time every time. Slightly erratic idle, surprise surprise. Sat at 90 happily all the way home, temperature good. Wrong coolant though.

The gearbox the same, engages very nicely and shifts very smooth.

Kickdown is only occasional though which is odd. No kickdown from top gear. Sometimes did it in lower gears. The switch is definitely pressing in, no obstructions. I have a spare kickdown button i might try.

The indicators and horn failed on the way back. Usual fuse corrosion, easily sorted and fine now. Theres one melted fuse holder - number 10. Havent got the reference card to check its function yet.

Rattley noise from the rear. I suspect exhaust mount. Its had a stainless system from the downpipes back to the original back silencer. Sounds very nice, slight leak to sort out though.

The seats work, holed bolster on the drivers side. No other rips. No sun damage.

The back windows need help to lift. Very stiff. How do you access the mech for the rear windows on the SEC? I only know the saloon. They go down okay though.

The sunroof slides and tilts, surprisingly.
The seatbelt butler on the drivers side doesnt work. The left side does when it feels like it. Must be a relay somewhere for these.

The rear screen is okay, but the ledge underneath has rusted and has been filled with a kind of rubbery tar. Looks ok really though. Only visible with boot open.

The driving experience is very different to my SE. It turns in quicker, tighter round bends. Acceleration is faster too. Less weight i guess.

Started big clean up operation. Will keep me busy for a while :)
Safety test is booked for tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
To get at the rear window actuators first remove the rear seat bottom on the side you will be working on. release the two red releases per seat bottom and pop the seat bottom out. then remove the seat back by pushing the seat back up, that releases the seat from the holders, remove seat back. Remove rear seat window switch and the handle. IIRC remove the side trim with the small center card in place. With the full trim piece removed you have access to the actuator.

There is a pdf on the cd's for this job, Maybe someone with better computer skills can post it up for you.

Glad you got her home. Like I said you will fall in love with her.

Does it have the ECE sticker and dials?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Congrats on your newest acquisition! The color looks really nice on the SEC:)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts