Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my knowledge, the temperature wheel on the climate control system is supposed to have a light in it so you can see what temp ur scrolling to. Mine is dark and I cant see where its at and have to turn on the interior lighting to see.

How do I go about replacing this bulb?

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Never heard of such a light. The only indication is the 'clicks' at each extreme, and right in the middle.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Benzonline - 4/9/2005 2:31 AM

To my knowledge, the temperature wheel on the climate control system is supposed to have a light in it so you can see what temp ur scrolling to. Mine is dark and I cant see where its at and have to turn on the interior lighting to see.

How do I go about replacing this bulb?
Same thing happened to me...

There are two (2) bulbs located behind the climate control unit, one left and one right. They light up the entire unit by passing light through a clear plastic panel that disperses the light evenly behind all the buttons. Your left bulb is burned out. You should notice the other buttons on the left side are dim as well. Replace the bulb and all is well.

When I did mine, I replaced both to keep from having to do the other at a later date.

Do a search on the board and you will find tons of posts that walk you through disassembling the center console to gain access to the bulbs. It's a very easy job.

tw

G

·
0 Posts
There are 2(12V-1.2W) bulbs recessed in the face of the ACC unit I used a semi stiff piece of plastic tube to reach in the recess and slip over the bulb to pull it out. Once I had my Automatic Climate Control unit out I took it with me to the hardware store to find the right size tubing. Simple do it yourself job. To install the bulbs I just dropped the new one in the proper place and used a wooden match stick to push in its seated location.

This was on a 126 300SDL

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sounds good. I'll leave this post and reply as soon as I go buy bulbs for it. Mostlikely in a few days and hope its an easy job like you guys said...thx!![:D]

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
There are bulbs back there but there is also a bulb INSIDE The thumbwheel. I just replaced mine a few months ago.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
vwbuge - 4/9/2005 12:34 PM

There are bulbs back there but there is also a bulb INSIDE The thumbwheel. I just replaced mine a few months ago.
Guess it depends on the year of the car, my 91 560 does NOT have a separate light inside the wheel.

tw

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well mines a 1983 so when I open it up i'll see whats in there.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im ready now to replace the bulbs in my ACC unit. I have an MB service manual for the car and it requires me to remove the radio (something i dont want to do) and pop the entire unit out. Is there any easier ways of getting to this bulb?

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
The radio has to come out to let the wood panel drop down a bit. When I did mine, I pulled the radio, but left it connected to the cables. I just set it to the side - there was enough cable slack to allow it to stay connected. Also, the bulbs are located on the front of the ACC unit, so it must be removed from the wood panel.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, just keep track of which screws hold which pieces together.

tw

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went to the dealer to pick up bulbs that I needed. I needed the instrument cluster lights to be done and the ACC unit which would be alot of work and out of curiosity I asked the service how much to do it just to see. The guy said $100 for all bulbs in both places to be done. I didnt think it was too bad so I let them do it.

What a difference! I can see the temp now and the gauges are glowing bright. [:)]

Thx everyone for the input.

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Sport Package, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 500sel US Spec
302 Posts
i have an 84 500sel and there is no bulb in the wheel...there is a bulb on the white plastic part that can easily be pulled out that lights up the enitre wheel. I replaced my bulbs in under 30 minutes

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Yeah!!! I got my temperature wheel lit up again. On my unit there are (2)-1.2w bulbs which are recessed facing outward on each side of the climate control unit after you remove it from the wood panel. I used a small rubber hose to slide over the bulbs to pull them out. Putting them back in took about 20seconds. Now the inside is starting to glow with some nice lighting. That will be nice because i'll be taking a good highway run on Sunday evening to take my daughter back to college. The drive is about 3.5 hrs each way.

Also, I took a look at that spider connector towards the back of the dash and if you ever have to go back there for repairs you need to wear some protective gloves and a sleeved short as you will definitely get some small nicks and scrapes going in there. Better yet, get a small child about 8 years old to reach back there for you while you guide him/her to the right spot. Couldn't resist! LOL!!!

·
Registered
1992 W126 500SEL (Euro spec with no cat) 104000 miles
20 Posts
Well I've just finished replacing all of the bulbs in the centre console of my 500SEL & although some bulbs are a little fiddly to reach, as long as you approach the job methodically & take things apart in the right order it isn't too tricky. Incidentally, what I'm saying refers to the manual A/C system which features the individual temperature dials for driver & passenger side.

Upon starting the job, my panel looked like this;

For me the switches which weren't lighting up were the rear dome light, heated rear window, the vent sliders at the top of the dash, the fan speed & air distribution markings on the rotary knobs & the left hand side temperature wheel.

Once you've taken the ash tray, radio & A/C panel off you'll find that the dome light, heated rear window & vent sliders are all powered by a single bulb in the octopus located at the back of the dash way behind the hazard warning switch - it's a pain to get too, but a long pair of pliers and a little patience will see you through.

For each of the rotary knobs there are two bulbs. The one to illuminate the centre of the knob is a breeze to replace as you just prize the knob off and it lives in the middle. For the markings around the knobs it's a little more tricky as each knob has its own bulb which inserts into the rear of the A/C panel. Once you've got the panel off it's obvious where these go.
Finally, for the temperature wheels, each wheel also has it's own bulb. You DON'T need to unbolt the A/C unit behind the panel to get to these, you just need to unclip the wheel and wiggle it towards you until you can reach the bulb which clips into the outer edge. If you do undo the bolts like I did (d'oh !) it's a pain to get them back in and aligned - once again just be patient.

Here's a picture of the panel removed - if you look above the left hand temperature wheel you'll see where the dome light switch was plugged into. The black wire with the brass ferrule around it at the top of the switch is the fibre optic. Once the octopus bulb is replaced & the lights turned on, you should see a spec of light coming out of the end of it.

I hope this clarifies things for anyone else taking their centre console apart !:D

·
Registered
MB 420SEL 1986-Bought in 2010, MERCURY VELLAGER-1995, NISSAN MAXIMA 1996, Buick Lesabre 1995
426 Posts
Well I went to the dealer to pick up bulbs that I needed. I needed the instrument cluster lights to be done and the ACC unit which would be alot of work and out of curiosity I asked the service how much to do it just to see. The guy said $100 for all bulbs in both places to be done. I didnt think it was too bad so I let them do it.

What a difference! I can see the temp now and the gauges are glowing bright. [:)]

Thx everyone for the input.
So you spend 100 dollers for what could have been done for less than 10 dollars. Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts