Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450SL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated on my previous post, I have been working on electrical problems on my recently acquired 1973 SL and ran across disconnect/ cut wires and connectors. This connector is from the temperature vacuum switch. The connector was disconnected and no visible place to connect it. Does anyone know where it goes Or what it controls?

Attachments

·
Registered
1975 450 SLC
21 Posts
I think it does your airconditioner fresh air recirc air damper control. Mine looks very similar but perhaps in worse condition! There may be 3 vacuum hose connections on it (my Aussie one does anyway).

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,748 Posts
The temperature vacuum switch changed early in production. Originally, the bulb in the temperature vacuum switch (blue colder legend) would only illuminate when the AC compressor was on. (Service Manual article 83-542, page 1, Note, paragraphs 2-4).

MB 107 Service Manual 83-542

This was probably found to be distracting and met complaints. The connector in your picture is the result of this change and has no purpose. When I first got my car, that connector had been mistaken for the cigar lighter connector. Like you, I found lots of carnage behind the climate control panel. I did not like that connector floating around back there so I clipped it to the console below the ash tray and shift plate panel.

Temp Vac Switch Light Plug.JPG

·
Registered
1973 450SL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you 🙏. that explains why there was no place to connect it. Will do the same and attach it neatly somewhere.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,748 Posts
The connector is depicted on the '73 wiring diagram next to the upper right corner of item 57 (blower motor relay pack). Since the connector has no purpose, it does not have a number associated with it; does not appear in the item list.

1973 450SL Wiring Diagram

1 - 6 of 6 Posts