Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEL
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968725226&category=46096&sspagename=WDVW

I was doing a search for W126 parts, and came across this temperature sensor. Would this change be good for my W126 and help it run cooler during the summer months?

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,032 Posts
Hi bse500sel,

I too, saw that ad. If there is nothing wrong with your cooling system & fans.... the auxillary fan will come on at a lower temperature... and should help keep the engine cooler... but only under conditions that would normally cause the aux. fan to engage. That said, I think it is preferable to have the Aux. fan engage at a lower temperature.

If your car is traveling down the highway at speed one really hot day, this sender is not going to make the car run any cooler.

[:)] MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
btw, your car Really shouldn't be getting that hot unles it's under Severe conditions..ie 90+ degrees, stop and go traffic w/ the AC on..

If you really want to get into it, i hard wired my Aux fan so I could turn it on and off at will from inside the interior.. It was nice, if I parked and the car was running warm I could leave the fan on for a bit, or if I was coming up to traffic I would turn it on before the car would warm up at all..

What can I say, I like having control over the little things..

Anyone know how I can disable the ANNOYING shift/brake lock on my 91...[:(!]

jonathan

·
Registered
573 Posts
how can one add on another cooling fan....i've noticed that some of your cars (possibly v8's) have two elec fans on the outside of the radiator- behind the grill, while mine only has one.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
You can adapt to the dual fan style, but that's not going to make or break your temperature. Also, the fans are rather pricey and if yours still works there is no good reason to go swapping things around. It's a PITA job anyway.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 500 SEL
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cooling system in my car works just fine. I guess that I should have been more specific regarding the condiditons in which my engine would run hotter, but not overheat. The conditions that jonathan described in his reply is exactly what I am talking about. Stop&Go traffic, idling with A/C running, with outside temps of 90+ deg F. I just wanted to do what I could so that the engine could opeate at cooler temperatures under those conditions.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,032 Posts
Hi bse500,

Then the sensor will make your Aux fan come on at a lower temp & should keep the temp lower in stop & go traffic.

[:)] MBL

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
i posted this on another site.. just copy-pasting it here again...

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=65377&page=3&pp=15 (username=theboss)

I live in saudi arabia.. very hott here..it aint summer if the temps are not 42+ degree celcius

SOLUTION 1:

throwin in 2 reciver/dryer would strain the compressor.. rather just install a bigger R/D but keep it limited to ONE only

get parallel flow condenser with he biggest size and thickness u can fit in..

stick to R12

get rid of the engine mechanical fan.. i swapped in an electrical fan from Chrysler 300C V8... it has a bosch dual speed motor and blows really strong air

connected with the compressor cluth via relay.. the fan automatically spins at higher speed when compressor is engaged along with the benz orignal aux fan...the car just sounds like a jet engine.. too loud if u are driving with open windows and AC on

SOlUTION 2:

Install a 5 gallon cubical water canister with tight lid and imersible water pump in ur trunk.. route the hoses under the car and set up a system to spray fine mist of water right on the spinning aux fan.. set up the required electrical and a switch on a dash.. now everytime u get stuck in traffic and vent dont blow enough cold air.. press the switch and the condensor temps will go down fast,..the gast high pressur will fall.. and really cold air will start to blow....

i tried both setups in real.. the second one when i didnt had enough cash to go with the first one.. they both worked well but the second one beats all since evaporation carries away heat faster.. execpt for the extra weight of 5gallon water canister in the trunk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts