1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E 320; 2002 E320 wagon, 2006 E320 CDI, 2010 ML 350 Bluetec, 1981 SD300
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Temperature !

Gents,
What temperature are you reading here ? The picture was taken with an angle...
This was my reading at 99F outside, driving at the highway speed for 30 min or so.
Is it 85C? It looks like I have to change my thermostat. I checked the temperature with the infrared thermometer and the readings were under 80C (with the engine stopped).
I checked the thermostat housing, injection pump and some area of the head.

(2006 E320 CDI)
_______
The SBS module was at 56C ( extremely hot in my opinion). It clearly gets hot like this because of the temperature under the hood. I used the brakes maybe twice the whole trip before I stopped. I am trying to put a shield between turbo/ air filter section and the SBC pump to get some protection ( maybe) and also to perforate the little blind bumper grill next to the fog light on the left side to get some air flowing in that area. That will expose the turbo hose to more air flow as well.
I am not questioning German engineers design, but I sure that in this part of the world ( Texas) the car is operating at the extreme hot.

I recently drove in Europe a VW Caravelle (autobahn speeds) and I could held my hand on most of the engine parts (temp outside around 75-85F) when the car was stopped. The brake ABC module was just a little bit warm. The operating temp of the engine got quickly to 90C and remained there the whole time.
Just sharing my experience with you.

All the best and have a nice weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic
51 Posts
Is this a trick question? or what's the question behind the question?

99 deg F outside temp and about 90 C engine temp on a hot summer day seems normal to me.

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,208 Posts
Temp is OK, you probably has a 87C thermostat.

SBC is totally different thing than conventional ABS, it may 'run' even you don't use brakes (for example if your rain sensor detects rain, brake system dries brakes by briefly contacting brake pads etc.). And in my opinion 56C is not hot, brake system is designed to run very hot, reason why boiling point of the brake fluid is > 200C if no water absorbed.

Was your VW petrol car? CDI engines are not veru quick to warm up...

·
Registered
2005 cdi
53 Posts
Well, these cars, from what I've read, are known to have thermostat failures. I replaced mine on my 2005 at about 75K.

In my case it was winter and my engine was lucky if it was getting to about 80C.

After the change it sits right at 90

-d

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2002 E 320; 2002 E320 wagon, 2006 E320 CDI, 2010 ML 350 Bluetec, 1981 SD300
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Temp is OK, you probably has a 87C thermostat.

SBC is totally different thing than conventional ABS, it may 'run' even you don't use brakes (for example if your rain sensor detects rain, brake system dries brakes by briefly contacting brake pads etc.). And in my opinion 56C is not hot, brake system is designed to run very hot, reason why boiling point of the brake fluid is > 200C if no water absorbed.

Was your VW petrol car? CDI engines are not veru quick to warm up...
I agree with you that the brakes are designed to operate at very high temperatures but I think that high temperature is developed at the calipers. If the hot fluid propagates up to the SBC or ABC module I don't know. Probably it does if the brakes are used extensively.
However, the high temperature that I was talking about here was read at the SBC electronic module. I know that pump is working under different conditions to maintain the pressure but I don't think the reason I found it hot was related with its functioning.
My point was that it seems to me that the SBC electronic module ( which does have a small radiator) needs a little air flow to cool it down from the heat developed under the hood in hot summer days / heavy traffic. Maybe I am just nervous for nothing.

Probably you are right, my thermostat might be 87C because it doesn't go over the mark you are seeing in the picture above under any conditions.
(maybe I need glasses- it is hard to read with accuracy while driving that's the reason I took a picture , I zoom it out and I posted here - no trick question :))
I thought ( from what I read) that all the OEM thermostats are 90 or 92C.

In regards with the VW driven in EU, it was a nice 4 cylinder TDI.

Again, I think I am going to change my thermostat because most of the time the temp fluctuates between 75 or 70 to 80.

Thank you for y'all comments. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts