Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz B180 , Blue Efficiency 2011 1,7 l engine
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have a 2011 MB B180 Blue efficiency (w245)
Upon start, disregarding what temperature my climate system is on, it always gets warm, almost hot, in cabin first 5 minutes and then goes down to normal. Engine temperature is normal. Is this something deliberate, intentional, or a malfunction?
I’ve still only owned this car now in the cold season but I can imagine it will be disturbing in the hot summer, if it is still happening.
Is it a known issue or deliberate function?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No-one familiar with this issue?
When I start the car the climatesystem inside in one minute blows out very warm air for a couple of minutes and the everything goes back to normal. Nothing specific seems to happen to the engine temperature.

·
Registered
2005 W-245 B-170
49 Posts
When you just started the car.
And your set your climate control to COLD and for a couple of seconds maybe 10? 20? blows warm air, and then blows cold. It's completely normal.
If you have to wait like 5 minutes for it to blow cold then you might be running low on a/c gas.
If that's the case your ac system needs re-charging. Nothing serious really. You should get it checked at your local Mercedes-Benz dealer or your independent mechanic.
Also, a little tip.
Never get in a car that has been sitting for a while like 2-3 hours or a day or more (and the temperature is more than 16 degrees celsius) and just turn the a/c on.
A chemical product called benzene forms and blows out from the ac vents. That chemical substance can cause problems in your kidneys and liver.
So never ever ever just get in a car and turn the a/c on immediately.
Drive it for a couple of minutes with the windows down and then turn the a/c on.

·
Registered
B200 5sp, Peugeot 404C Injection
384 Posts
Benzene is a 6 carbon hexagonal organic chemical and is in no way related to A/C operation. HFCs in the system are small chain organic molecules, not benzene rings.

·
Registered
2008 B170
224 Posts
Now most of us are familiar with the chemical nature of the likes of benzine, the way you have written your comments makes it sound like it is derived from the a/c system which of course are HFC’s.

I presume you are basically referring to the chemicals that are released from the plastics and vinyls in the car’s interior on a hot day and a distributed by the car’s air circulation system. Yes venting the car by opening windows would vent these fumes, why wouldn’t you also have the a/c on at the same time to assist and accelerate that ventilation?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is a different one. Upon start and the temperaure meter set to say 15 degrees, much warmer air comes that is not non-temperated but rather heated to 25-30 degrees Celsius for some reason. After first 5 minutes of driving the temperature comes down to normal. So far I’ve only owned and used the car in a nordic winter climate so I was wondering if this is a deliberate automatic function for reaching normal room temperature as fast as possible since once my cabin gets warmed up the air coming goes back to normal/neutral.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
smart EQ 2020; sold: A200 C169
1,278 Posts
Btw I haven’t turned my A/c off in years, runs all the time summer or winter. Summer to cool, winter to dehumidify.
(y) That's exactly how the system is meant to be used - never turn it off, otherwise a few annoying problems will manifest themselves soon enough - from dried and broken seals to escaping gas, etc, etc.

Some people still operate under assumption they will be saving fuel, if they turn the A/C off - in fact, the opposite is true, when driving with open window.
Regardless, not using A/C is a bad idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. So I’ll just have the A/C on all the time and see what happens. Thanks!

·
Outstanding Contributor
smart EQ 2020; sold: A200 C169
1,278 Posts
My problem is a different one. Upon start and the temperaure meter set to say 15 degrees, much warmer air comes that is not non-temperated but rather heated to 25-30 degrees Celsius for some reason. After first 5 minutes of driving the temperature comes down to normal.
The temperature you set on the A/C control panel is not the temperature, the system will output the air at, it's a desired temperature inside the car.
If the starting point is say, 5ºC and your system is set for 20ºC, then of course the air will be coming in hotter, than 20ºC to begin with, otherwise you'll never reach the desired one 🙂

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect. Thanks. Then my problem is not a problem and I’ll just keep the A/C on all the time as well

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
10,600 Posts
On the other side of this discussion is my B 200 and my driving with this car since 2005. I use the A/C very infrequently and only when needed...(quite often in the summer..) I have the windows open when cruising slowly like going through towns,.. and windows completely closed when at speed or on the highways. (noise benefit also..) I have the heat on much of the time due to the general coolish Canadian climate. The fan is always on at different speeds....depending..

My B 200 Class petrol fuel consumption is the finest average that has ever shown up on this forum....so unless scientifically proven otherwise..I'll keep on this steady course with my B200 petrol. My A/C has never needed any servicing yet from 2005...I do turn it on in all seasons because that procedure is recommended to keep the seals well lubed. The A/C also defrosts the windows quickly in cold or humid weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts