Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 S 500 Sport -

When i drive, my temperature gauge will vary from 80 degrees up to 100 degrees...... never going past 100, but never staying in the same place as other cars.

Is this a problem? I have an appointment in a few weeks for my dealership to look at it

what do you think?

Brad

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
If you idle your engine for a long time, like a 5 minute stop light, 100 degrees is normal...

If you idle your engine for a long time, like a 5 minute stop light, 100 degrees is normal. Or if you do stop and go driving for a long time and never go above 30-40mph. However, at highway speeds or if you are not going that slow, the "normal" operating temperature for most if not all Mercedes-Benzes is about 80. So don't be surprised if you are in a traffic jam and find the temperature at 100. If you have air conditioning on it will make the temperature even higher. This is what I have noticed on ALL of my Mercedes-Benzes, old or new. This has been the case ever since they have been bought brand new decades ago. However, I can tell you that this NEVER happens on cars of other makes that I have driven. I have Volvos, Hondas, and Fords and the temperature remains constant all the time, even in traffic or if you idle it for a very long time. Post a message if you have a more serious problem.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well everything you have said is the case with me.
When i drive to my friends house, w...

Well everything you have said is the case with me.
When i drive to my friends house, which is a 20 minute drive, it is usually first on the highway, and then stop and go with red lights and stop signs. Usually with the A/C or Heat on. I am sort of an aggressive driver ( quicker take offs ) So perhaps that is the reason. However, just to be safe, i am going to keep my appt with mercedes and just confirm it is not a problem.

You are correct when you say it doesnt happen on other cars. I drove my dad's bmw at over 100 mph on an empty highway and when i left the highway, i drove normally, and came to lights but the temp gauge did not go up at ALL.

Anyways - thank you so much for the response. This is such a great site to join. Im glad i did.
Brad

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just concerned me to see how the temp gauge could go to 100. This is in teh winter. h...

It just concerned me to see how the temp gauge could go to 100. This is in teh winter. how will it handle itself in 100 degree temps in the summer! Thats what the dealer will have to explain when it takes a look at it.

B

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
I drove my 190E in a 45 minute traffic jam once and it was mid July with temperatures in t...

I drove my 190E in a 45 minute traffic jam once and it was mid July with temperatures in the mid 90's. The temperature went to nearly 120 degrees and I had to shut down the engine and call for help. However, Mercedes says 120 is normal if you just idle your car with AC on for 45 minutes and it's almost 100 outside.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

First off, just wanted to say i love the 190e. Such a classic shape. !

While i...

Hi

First off, just wanted to say i love the 190e. Such a classic shape. !

While i can perfectly understand that logic, with the heat being that high out andyou have your AC on.
BUT - I did the same thing with my dads BMW 7 series and it didnt even BUDGE from the center of the temp gauge. Not even a flicker.

Strange that it is normal.

B

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
I know this is an extremely old thread... but if anyone else is searching for this issue it might be helpful to know:

Mercedes temp gauges give actual readings of the engine temp at all times... unlike other manuf. that have the gauge sit at one spot until there is a problem... kind of like an idiot light.

It is both a blessing and a curse to have this actual temp reading as it makes people question the performance of the cooling system... but it also gives you a better idea of what is going on under the hood.

·
Registered
S500 | 220.175 | 113.960
363 Posts
I know this is an extremely old thread... but if anyone else is searching for this issue it might be helpful to know:

Mercedes temp gauges give actual readings of the engine temp at all times... unlike other manuf. that have the gauge sit at one spot until there is a problem... kind of like an idiot light.

It is both a blessing and a curse to have this actual temp reading as it makes people question the performance of the cooling system... but it also gives you a better idea of what is going on under the hood.
Good to know. Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts