Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 e320 and I did not drive the car for about 10 days and now when I start the car up the Temprature does not display all the way along with the gear shift display on the dash.

Is there anything that can be done to try and correct this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Could be as simple as a light bulb out behind the display.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
These displays seem to have little pixels that fail, but upon examination, the pixels that are out varies from drive to drive.

I'm starting to suspect the driver for this display -- the chips the software, etc.

Anyone else come to a conclusion on this bizarre problem?

·
Registered
2000 E 320
16 Posts
I also have this problem in my 2000 E320, Being that I've got a service coming up, I've been waiting until I take it in instead of having to go in twice... As soon as I know what the culpret is Ill let everyone know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same car model and same problem too. Temperature figures on one side of AC panel are defective too.
What I ve learnt from another forum is that U cant do anthing about this other than replace it. And its not cheap. So I have decided to leave it that way as long as it doesnt cause any other malfunction.

·
Registered
2000 E 320
16 Posts
rog - 2/19/2005 6:30 AM

So I have decided to leave it that way as long as it doesnt cause any other malfunction.
And after awhile of looking at it you begin to recognize what time it is and also the outside temp.....

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
mjhawkins2346 - 2/18/2005 11:42 AM

These displays seem to have little pixels that fail, but upon examination, the pixels that are out varies from drive to drive.

I'm starting to suspect the driver for this display -- the chips the software, etc.

Anyone else come to a conclusion on this bizarre problem?
Sounds like poor solder joints. Up for some soldering?[:p]

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
It would be nice if it was so simple as resoldering some wires or chips.

Since I do have an extended warranty I was contemplating having the thing replaced as long as the odo can be reset to the right mileage -- without resorting to stickers, etc.

It seems smarter to resolder -- and less wasteful.

Anyone up for trying it first -- or know someone who has done it?

·
Registered
96' E320
307 Posts
Have any one of you guys tried the connection on the back of the gauge cluster. When I installed the chrome gauge rings on my car, I noticed that if the connection between the harness and the cluster was jiggled or loose, then the digital display went funky. I also noticed that if one side of the cluster was plugged in then that corrisponding side worked perfectly but the other did not work at all. Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
E220 T CDI (2000)
2 Posts
I have similar problems with the display. Found this thread in another forum. It seems that Arnie knows what he's talking about.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=8183

Carsten

·
Registered
02 ML 320, 00 E430
7 Posts
The guages in my car are doing the same thing, I was looking through the warranty book and it states in there that MB warranties certain emissions systems for 7 years or 70,000 miles in some states. One of those systems is instrument cluster. Under instrument cluster it states that they warranty agaist instrument cluster failer. I called my dealership and asked the tech and he said no, only for the instrument cluster and it had to be a cluster failure. I then asked how much it would cost to fix the two screens and he then told me I could not without replacing the whole cluster. OK, so I asked him....what is the problem that is causing the screens to do this and he answered....your instrument cluster has failed. If the instrument cluster has failed, and if the pisels come in and out as they often do how do they know that it is not doing the same things on the rest of the cluster? Anyone approached it from this angle yet?

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
I first had this issue appear on my 2000 E320 back in 2002. The dealership replaced all the little LCD displays under warranty at the time. I store the car over the winter and when I pulled it out of the garage this spring I noticed that the clack, gear select and temp were all messed up (again)
I guess this is just "one of those things" about the Merecedes that happen. It is just too bad they didn't come up with a fix when it first happened so that we don't have to pay to fix their defect.
It will certainly be in my mind when looking at a new car this year....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Although I have never been in there to see it for myself, it is my understanding that the led display components are connected to the circuit board with a flat ribon cable. The point of connection for this cable is of poor disign and can make poor or no contact across its width, causing section outages of the display or column/row outages.

I have seen many very small component units like this in cameras and the like, with the same ribbon cables, and can attest to the possibility of the above.

Such a big annoyance and repair expense for such a minor and fixable circumstance.

Brian - Yakima, WA
2000 E320 (without that particular problem - yet)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts