Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, I found this on the E55 forum. Sounds like its easy, only takes 5 minutes every 2-5 thousand miles to stop the chirp. Good luck. I'm hoping for an MB rep to show me how to do this as per instruction so I can do it myself later. There's two schools of though here, one person says to use stop squeal. The other person says to use a valve grinding compound for a more long term fix. Let me know what ya think.

RE: Acceleration "Chirp"

I saw on another forum (www.amg-owners-club.org) that Pep Boys carries "Stop Squeal".

I'm anxious to try some myself as my '04 SL55 AMG began making the chirp sounds at about 4K miles. It has nearly 10K miles on it now. Just got the car back from the dealer today after trying to fix it. The dealer worked on the car for one full day trying to identify the source of the chirp sound. They replaced both of the belts on the front of the engine with no help.

I plan on taking a bottle of Stop Squeal to them to try out. Since they worked on it a full day I'm pretty sure they will try a 5 minute fix even it has to be applied every 2.5K to 5K miles or so to keep the chirps away.

Below is more detail from that web site for those that want to apply the "Stop Squeal" themselves:

===============================
Originally posted by TexE55AMG on 4/30/2004 (http://forum.amg-owners-club.org/)
Hi everyone.....I am a new member to this board and this is my very first post. I picked up my new 04 E55 a couple of months ago and all I have to say is WOW! The car is awesome....It is just as fast as one of my previous cars (442 rwhp MTI Z06 Vette).

That being said the supercharger chirp was bugging the heck out of me. But that is in the past.....I was made aware of a great fix and it works!

Step #1 - Pop off supercharger shroud

Step #2 - Using a feeler gauge drip in Stop Squeal (graphite suspended in alcohol). This product is available at most auto parts stores and is normally used for brake squeal.

Step #3 - Pop supercharger shroud back on and drive!

The chirp is gone!!!!!!

I now enjoy my car 100%

Question:
where are you dripping the stop squeal? in the upper pulley???

Answer:
Slide the feeler gauge in the gap that seperates the blower from the pulley. You can find this gap by hand spinning the supercharger. You will note that the front section does not spin when the electromagnetic clutch is not engaged (that is the section connected to the pulley and belt). It sounds confusing but is really easy to see.

After you slide the feeler gauge in the gap, drip the stop squeal liquid (a few drops will do) and hand spin the supercharger 1/4 turn. Repeat process 4 times as to get a decent application of stop squeal between the clutch plates.

It helps to do this when the car is warm so the liquid flash dries quickly.

The whole process will take you approx. 5 mins.

Good luck!
=======================
More information from TexE55AMG:
There is no downside to this fix (no slippage etc.). The fix lasts approx. 2,500 - 5,000 miles before reapplication is needed. One tech I talked to said that the mileage interval can be extended if you take off the front clutch plate to ensure a full and even application of the stop squeal.

One other tech had mentioned a long term fix was going to be tested. They are going to experiment with having the clutch plates impregnated with teflon.

Please note the electromagnetic clutch on the supercharger has a very high clamp force. The graphite does NOT cause slippage of the supercharger. It simply acts as a buffer that prevents raw metal to metal squeal upon engagement.

I know that Mercedes does not have a problem with this fix.

It will not void your warranty.

At our dealership we use very fine valve grinding compound and use a feeler gauge to apply it inbetween the clutch surfaces. Any kind you can find will work. Just apply it and drive. We have done this repair for many customers and they have not been back since. I don't recomend that squeal stop stuff. Only temp fix. The valve grinding compound is more of a long term fix, if you can call it that.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
It seems like they think the noise is coming from glazed clutch friction plates.
The valve grinding compound will roughen the surface and stop the chirp easy enough.
The alternative graphite treatment will do the same thing (stop the noise) for a shorter period of time, but probably with less wear on the clutch plates, because it lubricates rather then grinds material off.
Either way it sounds a lot better then replacing valves or belts doesn't it?.... [:p]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish there was some photos of this being done, I don't even know how to take the cover off. I called two dealers and they told me that they CAN'T instruct me on how to repair my car incase something goes wrong they'd be held liable.

Grrrrrr[}:)][}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Taking the cover off is easy, just lift it straight up. There are three location pins that hold it in place. Grab hold of the two sides and gently wiggle it as you pull up, you'll feel where it's attached, and can work those areas as you pull it up. Just go easy until you know where everything is... [;)]
Once you get the cover off, start the car and watch what spins and what doesn't.
Keep your hands in you pockets and you can't get hurt. When you see which parts of the clutch spin. and which don't, turn the engine off. Then lube a little as in the other posting. This may sound condescending, but please, it's NOT meant that way....
DO NOT try to do anything while the engine is running.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got help yesterday from a place called Lewbar Imports, they're an MB dealer. I called them up, they said "sure! bring it in, we'll read what ya got and show ya what you need to do." I rushed right down popped the hood and we got busy [:)].

Unfortunately they didn't have the graphite in alcohol and was kinda worried about using valve grinding stuff so nothing got done. BUT! I know how to do it.

Bruce, it makes sense to me about the valve grinding stuff, but even the guys at the auto parts stores are like... "you sure you wanna do that?" Seriously, do you think that it will take off that much material? I can't find that stop squeal in ANY shops, I've even tried Home Depo and Lows. I bet that I've been to at least 9 auto stores in Springfield looking for this Stop Squeal.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
$30 on-line for lube, squeal-stop and cleaner. BG's website is messed up. It took a while to find it.

http://www.bgprod.com/bgdistloc/ontroad.html

http://www.bgprod.com/bgprofessional/bgproducts/specialty.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tri-maxx2000/bg403kit.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts