Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2004 E500 4matic , seems to be running just a bit warmer . Now that the outdoor temps are in the low 90's my temp gauge is bumped up a couple of notches . it is more noticeable on when I climb hills on a hot day . is this quite common ? I did a flush and fill with the radiator 4 months ago , not sure of the age of the water pump.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,860 Posts
It is normal for the temp to rise when pushing the engine hard in some conditions ,,or when idling for a long time on a hot day...
But temps up to 120 C are within limits...but the car should normally be around 90 C ..what temp are you seeing ?
Are you using correct coolant type and concentration ?
You could also fit a new thermostat before replacing the water pump..

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,548 Posts
Idle your car with the AC ON. Pop the hood and check that the fan is running with a lot of air blowing through the engine bay. Switch OFF the car completely and spin the fan by hand. Does the fan spin freely without any binding or scraping? The E500 has a huge radiator compared to the V6 so it's conceivable that it won't completely overheat with a failed fan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running right around 90 C and sometimes it pops up to 100 C . I will also inspect the fan

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,847 Posts
Did you replace chem pack with coolant flush?
Wax thermostats do have few degrees delter between intiial opening adn full opening.
When you drive gently in cold weather - small opening will be enough for engine cooling.
When hot weather arrives, or you put bigger load on the engine (trailer, driving long grade), the engine needs more cooling, therefore will warm up till full thermostat opening

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you replace chem pack with coolant flush?
Wax thermostats do have few degrees delter between intiial opening adn full opening.
When you drive gently in cold weather - small opening will be enough for engine cooling.
When hot weather arrives, or you put bigger load on the engine (trailer, driving long grade), the engine needs more cooling, therefore will warm up till full thermostat opening
not sure what you mean by Chem Pack ??

·
Registered
36,847 Posts
W211 are the first generation of E class with chem pack incorporated in cooling system, what gives it 15 years of life.
When you replace the coolant, you should put new chem pack as well, or start changing the coolant every 2 years

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,860 Posts
Kajtek1 ,,How do you replace the Chem pack ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idle your car with the AC ON. Pop the hood and check that the fan is running with a lot of air blowing through the engine bay. Switch OFF the car completely and spin the fan by hand. Does the fan spin freely without any binding or scraping? The E500 has a huge radiator compared to the V6 so it's conceivable that it won't completely overheat with a failed fan.
the fan is spinning strong and no issues there , next up is the chem pack whatever that is ????

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
So , just to be very clear ,,,if we have a 15 year old MB ,,and we fit a new genuine MB coolant expansion tank ,,then we don't have to change coolant for another 15 years . Is that correct ?
Should we change the coolant when fitting the new tank or is that not needed ?
Thanks guys..

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,224 Posts
Most of my technical English language I learned on this forum. Sounds like I missed a level.
Would coolant reservoir have been better?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Please Noodles and Kajtek,,what are your opinions on the questions I asked in post #15 ? Kajtek I know you have said as much already re the first question..
Thanks ..

·
Registered
36,847 Posts
Like I said in reply #7, those cars have system giving 15 years coolant life, when replaced with chem pack.
Chemistry is not my major, but some members replaced younger coolant without replacing chem pack. That sure brings question if the interval should go back to 2 years like older models advise.
Since you replaced both, enjoy for next 15 years/150k miles

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Kajtek1 ...thanks for your reply ,,after years of reading them ,,I always value your opinions,,
Logic would say that if you replace coolant ,,and add a new coolant reservoir with a new chem pack ,,then it should be good for 15 years again..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts