Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is stan and i have a question

Ive read alot of good info in these forums there great. well i found a forum about heating and thermostats so i ran my own tests at home found out that my t-stat was stuck open has been for a while because my temp never got above the one line above the 40 line so i changed it got a 176 deg F (80.c) and now the car run great never ran better wow amazing what a little t-stat can do
so heres my question if my car runs between the 80 line and the one above it which i dont know the value of that line can some one please tell me what the next line above 80 is and if my car is running in a safe range

·
Registered
680 Posts
Should be 100 C, then next mark is 120 C that says it's 120 C.

In the winter (in Atlanta) whenever it never gets above 20 F, the engine temp will never get above 80 C, especially with the heater on - maybe 75, and the t-stat never opens up (it's an 80 C t-stat). You can put your hand on the valve cover and radiator and it won't burn - really, really, warm, but not hot.

Range is ok. In the summer, air temp 90-95 F, the engine used to run 100-110 C, until I cleaned the OUTside rear of the radiator. Oil residue/dirt had been clogging up the fins. After that, engine temp of 90-95 C was the hottest it would get, and closer to 90 C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its like low 40's here so running in between 80c and 100c i normal right ? im just worried ive never seen it get that high before due to a stuck open t-stat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts