Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
From what I understand all of the W211 bugs were worked out by 2007 including going back to a more normal braking system. So I would say go for it.

If our wagon got wrecked tomorrow I would be looking to replace it with an 07 or 08. Otherwise I will be waiting until I can get a good deal on a used 2012 W212 wagon a few years from now.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes in the beginning the W211 were crap, riddled with problems and quality control issues, however now I am leaning more and more toward the late W211s, however I hope I will not have to get rid of my W210. My w210 IMO, the way it runs, will probably go another 150-200K (now at 110K). I'm looking forward to giving my W210 to my son in ~3 years.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
From what i know...... stay away from 350 engine in 06, 07 and 08.
350 engine is new back in 06. 320 is more reliable. IMO, try to get 08+

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you are gonna drop by sometimes and say hi to us then go for it :)
I personally don't like the skin on w211, looks too Japanese but it's my taste. Hope you get what you really like and enjoy it.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are gonna drop by sometimes and say hi to us then go for it :)
I personally don't like the skin on w211, looks too Japanese but it's my taste. Hope you get what you really like and enjoy it.
:) Thanks :)

Actually not only do I plan on keeping the W210, but if I do acquire a W211, I will STILL be posting here regarding the W211. From comparing the 2 sections I think owning a W211 and asking for help in W210 section here, will probably be more fruitful. I think the W210 guys here would be more helpful.:thumbsup: So yes, I will still be dropping by and saying HI! You all can't get rid of me that easily.:D

·
Registered
440 Posts
have you test driven a 211?
from what I remember, the 211 seems to have lost that benz vault feel, or perhaps it was just the particular one I experienced?
-Robert

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
From what i know...... stay away from 350 engine in 06, 07 and 08. 350 engine is new back in 06. 320 is more reliable. IMO, try to get 08+
+1. Some of the M262 (350) and M263 (550) had issues with a balance shaft that was an inferior part. My dealer told be they have good willed quite a few. Of course that was not all engines so check out if the problems were limited to certain serial numbers.

·
Registered
568 Posts
:) Thanks :)

Actually not only do I plan on keeping the W210, but if I do acquire a W211, I will STILL be posting here regarding the W211. From comparing the 2 sections I think owning a W211 and asking for help in W210 section here, will probably be more fruitful. I think the W210 guys here would be more helpful.:thumbsup: So yes, I will still be dropping by and saying HI! You all can't get rid of me that easily.:D
Thats great:thumbsup: Always liked your avatar, reminds me of Colorado Rockies:)
You r absolutely right, checking other classes time to time so far 210 and 124 forums are the busiest ones with full of helpful info, gotta love it here.

Its a shame thou, a fine engineered car like a 2006-07 E350 still has immaturity problems that even the dealerships admit staying away from them.:(

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you test driven a 211?
from what I remember, the 211 seems to have lost that benz vault feel, or perhaps it was just the particular one I experienced?
-Robert
You are correct. However, I think this is something that we will have to live with if we want to upgrade to a post 2002 MB. I think that if we want that vault feel, we would have to play around with/change suspension components. On my 2000 E320, I have replaced the shocks and springs and it became much more of a "vault-feel" than it was with OE parts. I changed the springs to Vogtland springs and Koni adjustable shocks. The car feels like a BMW while retaining Mercedes quality, reliability and class so I enjoy best of both worlds. The suspension has gotten stiffer but I think I'm still young enough to put up with this tighter ride at a loss of some comfort that is a little less forgiving on my rear end.:) This also lowered the car about an inch. Vogtland spring is a progressive spring and Vogtlans is well known for its contribution to NASCAR.

I think the W211 will also benefit a lot from this setup. Koni shocks can be adjusted to make the ride stiffer. If/when I get my w211, I'll try this and see what happens.

As I get older, I may want to think about my back and rear end and may actually want a soft riding car. My parents are Lexus people. Awesome cars, better quality, fit and finish and light years ahead of MB in terms of reliability and customer service, but I'm still young enough to not want to go over into the dark side yet which will be inevitable in 15-20 years.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what i know...... stay away from 350 engine in 06, 07 and 08.
350 engine is new back in 06. 320 is more reliable. IMO, try to get 08+
+1. Some of the M262 (350) and M263 (550) had issues with a balance shaft that was an inferior part. My dealer told be they have good willed quite a few. Of course that was not all engines so check out if the problems were limited to certain serial numbers.
Yup, I will be careful with this. Would be very helpful if someone has access to data and could post which serial numbers to stay away from.

I think that the 350 engine was put into use as early as 2005 models in the SLK.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats great:thumbsup: Always liked your avatar, reminds me of Colorado Rockies:)

Thanks! :)
You r absolutely right, checking other classes time to time so far 210 and 124 forums are the busiest ones with full of helpful info, gotta love it here.

Not to mention the forum members also seem very eager to actually want to help and will always post a response very quickly.:thumbsup: I think the over all QUALITY of W210 members, their knowledge, and most important their willingness to help is unrivaled. This is one MAIN reason why I have and continue to keep my W210.

Its a shame thou, a fine engineered car like a 2006-07 E350 still has immaturity problems that even the dealerships admit staying away from them.
I think this is universal to pretty much every brand when they come out with something new.
:(
///

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
W211 is a step above comparing to W210. but having perfectly good W210 and spending 20 grands or so to get newer model of the same class is 100% snobbery.
Good if you can afford it. I would seek the one with folding rear seats. Rare option , but extremely handy in hauling lumber and other building materials ;)

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
W211 is a step above comparing to W210. but having perfectly good W210 and spending 20 grands or so to get newer model of the same class is 100% snobbery.
Good if you can afford it. I would seek the one with folding rear seats. Rare option , but extremely handy in hauling lumber and other building materials ;)
Not to mention 12 cases of Polish beer and 100 lbs of Kielbasa. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
LOL Kajtek1, I'm glad you saw my comment. I think I remembered that your seat was not folding but was not sure on the actual quantities. Those photos you took are priceless!

·
Registered
89 Posts
What about considering a W211 CDI? I knew a guy who had an 05 or 06 E320 CDI and they loved that car. Few problems, and the car performed better than most gas MB with similar size engine (allegedly, the CDI is the reason the 350 was developed). Might give you more mechanical reliability and better gas mileage, just more expensive fuel though. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:D:D :thumbsup: I didn't think of it this way. Ok, no more cars for me.;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts