Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes w124 260E
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tell me why are you an benz fan ? (pictures included)

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
Because where I come from Mercedes is the god of vehicles

period

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
I totally agree with all of the above. But there's something else that makes me strive to drive a Benz and nothing else. Though I'm a writer, I'm not sure I can explain it with words, but I'll try anyway.
When I sit in a Mercedes, I don't "feel the mechanicals at work." I don't hear the wheels as they spin, I don't feel like there's nothing separating me from the asphalt but a sheet of metal. I don't feel bothered, nor vulnerable.
I've owned or driven so many cars in my life, German, French, Japanese, American, and even russian Ladas, and I have yet to find another car that I don't have to fight with at some point. What sets my Mercedes apart is that she does what I tell her to do. If I want to make a turn, she does so without fuss. If I want to accelerate or stop, she duly complies.

Shady

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts
The fit, finish, quality, handling and longivity are the reasons I have a Benz. Looking back I have had a few. Current 96 sl500, 87 300td, 87 190d 2.5 turbo. previous 84 190d 2.2, 77 240d, 69 220d, 71 300sel 6.3 and 65 300se. Set in any Benz and you have the same unique experance, good road manners, good brakes and the same feel regardless of the model.

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,290 Posts
Its the solidity of the car, style, and how people look at you when you go by them, the power and longevity. if you ever drove a cheaper car, you know the difference. I wont need to replace the engine at 150,000 miles, I can trade it in and not cry from depreciation...plus its faster than most BMWs, All current production hondas, toyotas, nissans, lasts longer than all american cars, sexy as a bautiful woman...I can go on and on

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The designs of the older cars are classic, unique, and original – the ergonomics of my 20 y/o 500 SEL is as fresh and modern as a 2005 m/y car.

A

·
0 Posts
while beacause benzs are sacred objects are far as im concerned. they are shaped, built, and made to be driven superiorly to all other vehicles ever created. if ur a car nut, and do not believe in Mercedes Benz, than u have some form of mental illness requiring the removal of driving privledges until u "see the light of the star that guides you"

·
Registered
mercedes w124 260E
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
come on boyz i know that you can more than that.

·
Registered
'89 260E
18 Posts
being able to see the 3-pointed star at the front of the bonnet when I drive, is absolutely classical!

before I got my first MB (see my recent thread), I wanted to get a special car, but the few I looked at (incl BMW) just cannot match the classical appeal of the MB especially the design and how MB put the package together (leather/MB Tex interior, wood trim, solid feel, absolutely low road noise, great cruising feel, etc etc). Not to mention the value for money!

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
I always liked them, even as a kid. In college, I was restoring a 65 190. My parents bought an 89 Park Avenue. The MB, with the exception of the tranny shift, was a smoother and quieter ride than the Park Avenue. So for me, the rest is history. How many other cars last for 300K plus miles and get used for cabs because they are so reliable.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
I love the fact that you can stand the hood straight up to work on the car. I do this lots of times at car washes to show off (even though i have no reason too). It just shows the car was designed by engineers/mechanics and not by pencil pushers.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
(2) words -- DURABILITY and PERFORMANCE.
The oldest Merc I own is a 89' 300E. I drive
the crap out of this thing, full throttle maxed out speed, hard on the brakes from triple digit speeds, extreme load 4 passengers 100 degrees outside A/C on going 90mph up hill and over mountain passes. This M103 engine is truly bulletproof. After 216K miles it idles smoothly gets 20 mpg. still feels very rigid and tight and will still pull close to 140 mph. anytime I want. My V8 400E is the same way only faster.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
redwood - 4/6/2005 3:14 PM

(2) words -- DURABILITY and PERFORMANCE.
The oldest Merc I own is a 89' 300E. I drive
the crap out of this thing, full throttle maxed out speed, hard on the brakes from triple digit speeds, extreme load 4 passengers 100 degrees outside A/C on going 90mph up hill and over mountain passes. This M103 engine is truly bulletproof. After 216K miles it idles smoothly gets 20 mpg. still feels very rigid and tight and will still pull close to 140 mph. anytime I want. My V8 400E is the same way only faster.
That’s a good point – many of us don’t realize how weak and shoddy other car are compared to a classic MB (I don’t know the newer cars so this may no longer be true). When you start driving an MB you drive it faster, longer, harder because that’s how they are designed. A lesser car would not hold up to the ‘abuse,’ I know I’m just as hard on my cars. It’s really a testament to how well they’re built.

·
Registered
1990 W124 300TE-24 3.4 AMG, 1991 W126 300SEL
152 Posts
Everything above plus the elegant star at the end of the bonnet. I don't understand why some of our w124 friends took it out!!!

·
Registered
1993 320E 3.2 24v
129 Posts
I'm a big fan of w126's and 124's because they're reliable, built like a tanks and look pretty damn good for the age. [8D]

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
Well Rafmar, interesting you should say that. The other day I was about to beat up a friend of mine because he "figured" I should remove the star and install a flat one. He drives a BMW, by the way [:D]

Shady

1 - 20 of 28 Posts