Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is everyone's experience with teleaid. Is it worth the expense- like something you can't live without.... (like pre-cellular days)

Looks like it's $240/year- cheaper with long term agreements.

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
first year is complimentary from benzo; after that the subscription is fee-based. i never used it during the two one-year periods for each of my benzos and subsequently never re-upped the service.

that said, it only takes one major wreck in which you cannot function that tele-aid will save your life. in retrospect, a $240+/ yr investment (i.e., "insurance")/ cost for the service it claims to offer is probably worth the benefit it may one day provide.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think past my nose on this one...so SOS won't work unless your signed up for teleaid.

the idea of having it seems comforting- even if it's used for asking directions- I guess you could ask for directions and not feel too stupid about it, especially if your alone.

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
i think the two (sos/ tele-aid) are linked; however, i'm not sure now ,,, you've shaken my confidence in my response on that one. anyone else know?

if they are NOT linked and sos works on its own (i.e., without subscription), then i think it's a waste of money to subscribe to (just) tele-aid if you are using it solely to ask for directions to the nearest steakhouse, report a flat tyre. afterall, you have a mobile phone, yeah?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The SOS feature does not work unless you have a teleaid subscription. I maintain the service but rarely use. However, as I'm not a cell phone user, the fee is considered more as an "insurance" than anything else.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
My insurance does not give credit or discount for having it. I understand you have to have the cell phone active in the car to track it down if stolen. I have opted activate the cell phone in the car as it has voice recognition and not pay for Teleaid.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
check out this product,

http://www.anythinggps.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=314

Monthly air time plans starting at just $2.50 for a recovery only application

some more about it:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203748&posts=5&hl=GPS

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The GPS, and the Tel Aid are pre installed, you do not need the cellphone option. The $240 a year is a little aggresive pricing, with airtime charges on top of that. If you dont subscribe nothing will work, I like the GM approach much better where you can subscribe to the emercency services portion only for $16 a month. I would probably sign up for it. There is a problem in my 01 the Tel-Aid is analog, and the Cellular systems are phasing that out.

·
Registered
2005 C320
2 Posts
I just got a 2005 C320. Opted for both the teleaid and the installed cell phone. My feeling was for the saftey feature of teleaid. Great to have if you are in trouble. Plus, the teleaid works somewhat like lojack if your car is ever stolen.

I can't see myself using if for direcetions, as I also have the navigation. If your having questions, I'd go for it. MBUSA gives you the option of prepaying several years of service at a pretty good discount.

Jim

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
BobbyD - 3/22/2005 7:03 PM

I didn't think past my nose on this one...so SOS won't work unless your signed up for teleaid.

the idea of having it seems comforting- even if it's used for asking directions- I guess you could ask for directions and not feel too stupid about it, especially if your alone.
You don't use the SOS button to ask for directions. It is for emergencies only. There are two other buttons for TeleAid. One has a wrench on it and is for roadside service and one has an "i" on it that you use for questions, etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
malibuite,
Just wanted to say I like your signature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought the CLS55 AMG and having gone with the Teleaid option PLUS the Concierge option, I can tell you it is well worth the money. Basic Teleaid is free for the first year and includes SOS for Roadside Assist or other emergencies. Concierge service and for an additional $200 or so you get a world of value.

For example, you can call to have Concierge book tickets to a ballgame, a top notch restaurant, movie tickets and a whole host of other goodies. Further, if you're ever lost and nav isn't operable or just can't find the address, Concierge services will walk you through directions turn by turn. I've also got a profile of my daily commute loaded into the Teleaid website so that each morning I simply phone them up and get a custom, up to the minute report on traffic problems. Finally, I can call Concierge and they will place a call for me anywhere in the US and from what I've been told, there is NO additional charge for this.

I'm a jaded New Yorker and TeleAid, in just the couple weeks I've had it, has been a terrific service.

·
Registered
2002 SL500
26 Posts
I signed up for it when I got my first SL last year. I wasn't going to renew it until tonight my wife has some 19 yr old idiot turn in front of her. The airbag went off and Tele-Aid had called the police before the 911 calls. The operator stayed on the line with my wife until the cops and ambo showed up.

It may be $240, but after tonight, it is worth every penny.

·
Registered
2003 S430V 4matic
24 Posts
I called to have mine reactivated and they said that they would not accept any more analog subscriptions. I told them that I understood that the analog service would go away at the end of the year and that I wanted to subscrive anyway. they said no! Strange?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts