Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a slightly annoying issue involving the interaction of my Tele-AID system and the audio system in my 2005 E500 (delivered in October '04).

I will preface the description by stating that this "functionality" may actually be "by-design" and working as it is intended to. But it would be good to here from other Benzworld.org menus about this:

Whenever I use Tele-AID (like to check traffic which I do regularly), when I have completed the call and hang up, the COMAND system turns on whatever audio program I had running (the radio or CD player) before I activated Tele-AID....whether or not I had the audio playing BEFORE activating Tele-AID.

Here are two examples to clearly illustrate what I am observing....

1) Radio is OFF...then I activate Tele-AID...radio stays off for duration of call...then Radio comes ON after I end the Tele-AID call

2) Radio is ON...then I activate Tele-AID...radio mutes and stays off for duration of call...then Radio comes back ON after I end the Tele-AID call

I certainly can understand, am I am thrilled with the fact, that MB designed the audio to automatically mute when Tele-AID is activated. I also understand why they designed the radio to come back on after you finish the Tele-AID call IF it was on before you placed the call.

However, is the system really designed so that the radio ALWAYS comes back on following a Tele-AID call (whether or not it was ON before the call was initiated)? This sure seems like a design oversight by MB. If I were the designer, I would have designed the system to return the radio to whatever state it was in (i.e. on OR off) prior to initiating the Tele-AID call.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been meaning to update this post for awhile and am finally getting aroudn to it.

My dealer got a reply from Mercedes-Benz engineering about this a few weeks ago. According to the car's designers, the Tele-AID system and radio system in my car are working exactly as designed.

The engineers suggested that the best solution would be to "just turn the stereo off if he does not want to listen to it when it comes on after using the Tele-AID". I imagine them saying this to my dealership service technician smugly with a thick German accent and it makes me want to laugh!! What were we thinking anyway, asking German engineers for a solution to such a trivial problem!! [:)]

·
Registered
2005 E500
10 Posts
Thanks for your update, I had heard this is how it works in all E's.

JG, how do you like your car? Would you buy it again or would you consider other options now?

I have an order in for April delivery of an E500 and am very nervous due to all the reports about reliability problems in the media.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey SacGuy,

I would DEFINITELY buy the E500 again in hindsight. Yes, there are reports of some issues, and I have even had some minor issues myself, but they were all fixed to my satisfaction in relatively short time.

One thing to watch out for with "media reports" is that they have the potetnial to make a relatively small number of cases look like a "plague". The bottom line is that the few people who are unhappy with something always complain alot, and loudly. The vast majority who are totally happy with the same thing don't often go posting all over the internet and telling the media how they have not experienced any problems.

Any car that is as technologically advanced as an E500, or any of the E500's competitors for that matter, is always going to have a few minor issue to troublshoot. I think that the real difference is how good your dealership and manufacturer are at providing the follow up service to deal with any issues. In this case, my dealer is awesome so I am very happy.

I have come to the conclusion that you can't neccessarily trust what you hear about "reliability" in the press. Lexus, for example, always gets listed as the "most reliable" and "best quality" cars out there. Well, I took a MAJOR financial haircut to trade in a virtually new 2004 LS430 for my E500, because the Lexus was such a piece of s%$t in terms of performance, comfort, build quality and service, that I couldn't handle it any longer. The LS430 dash was installed incorrectly (GPS head unit and switches were all crooked and some stuck out from the dash while the identical switch on the other side was indented beneath the dash), the body flexed like a SLINKY (loud enough to hear it creak) on any road surface other than the freeway. The sunroof rattled like a ball bearing inside an empty coffee can. The seat had a "built in" thing that stabbed you in the right ass-cheek making long drives not just uncomfortable, but PAINFUL (this is a "design feature" by the way and was present in 3 other LS430's that I sat in), and on top of it all, the carpet in the driver's side footwell kept separating from the trim and rolling up to expose the raw fram and wiring. Lexus' "unsurpassed customer service" was also BS. The dealership did whatever chewing gum quick fix they could for any issues (that was after trying to BS me that they couldn;t fix them at all). Lexus corporate basically told me "too bad" and that, for my 12 trips to the dealership in 3 months (which is in another City I might add) they would be happy to provide a complimentary service with a dollar value of $200.00!!!! That is a joke!!!! If I had more time and energy, I would have hired an attorney and sued Lexus over this, and almost certainly would have gotten a judgement for them to buy my car back. As it happened in this case, I had more money than either time or energy, so I just unloaded that POS car. So there you have an actual, first hand report from a previous owner of a car the "media reports" say is the "most reliable" [:D]

Here is how I feel about my E500:

1. It drives better than any other car I have ever owned
2. It handles almost as well as a BMW 5-series (nothing handles quite like a BMW)
3. The features and their implementation are absolutely 1st rate
4. The build quality, including the quality of the materials and the "fit and finish" tolerances is among the best I have ever seen in a production car.
5. The thing looks "sexy"! It looks like it is going fast even when parked
6. It is one of the quietest cars I have ever owned. Very little wind noise and absolutely NO creaks or noise from body flexing.
7. Very happy with the service I have received so far from MBUSA and my dealership

Would I buy the E500 again? Definitely. In fact, I have already decided that unless there is something that is obviously superior, I will be replacing my current E500 in a few years with an E55 (or whatever the number is at that time) AMG version of the same car. Also, when our other car (Acura MDX) dies I would seriously consider the new ML series Benz to replace it. That is how much I like the E500 and Mercedes-Benz.

I think you will be THRILLED when your new E-series is delivered later this year.

·
Registered
2005 E500
10 Posts
[:)]Thanks JG......that helped a lot. It is always nice to hear an actual owners opinion. I have looked at the LS and GS, the Infiniti 35/45 and the Acura RL and I just can't get enthused about them, no matter how much everyone chants on and on about their supposed reliability and value .......they are boring!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts