Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In various fuel discussions, I have noticed the use of Techron.
Which Techron do you use?
How often do you use it?
How much do you use per fill?
Do you add it every time you fill the tank?
Will Techron clean the sending unit?
Does anyone use some sort of octane booster in addition to the Techron?

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,276 Posts
1. I use the highly concentrated stuff you can find at Pep Boys. Typically though only this stuff: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Techron-Concentrate-Plus-10-oz/16647989
2. At best, once a year if I plan on doing a really long car ride.
3. The whole damn thing :p
4. No only once per year when the tank is nearly empty (see 2)
5. In theory yes, but given how easy it is to get to the sending unit you would have a much more effective time just pulling it out of the soft top well when the car is nearly empty and cleaning it yourself with some carb cleaner.
6. When I do my once a year techron treatment, I treat my 380SL to some Chevron Premium along with the whole bottle of concentrate. I assume there's more in the premium product than regular. Probably not necessary at all given how good the small bottle is.

If I had to winter my car, the first fill up of the season once the snow and salt go away, I would do a Techron and Chevron premium fill up. Mostly to get the old gas out and wake the car up. That's just me and my Shadetree "Bro" Science.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Will it not be as effective if added to a full tank? I currently have a tankful of non-eth premium.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
291 Posts
I use techron or seafoam
Just annually
full bottle- run to warning light
Change oil after
No other product for fuel treatment

·
Registered
1986 560SL
39 Posts
At one time at least, Techron was the only fuel additive recommended by Audi. Since I wondered whether two containers at once was better, I called Chevron's technical support, and was able to reach one of their chemists. He told me that the optimum concentration was what the container listed as the "up to" amount, for instance 15 gallons. Increasing the concentration didn't necessarily improve the cleaning and de-carbonizing action.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,276 Posts

1. Thanks. Will it not be as effective if added to a full tank? I currently have a tankful of non-eth premium.
Think of it this way, when you want a bubble bath, when do you add the soap: before or after you fill up the tub?

It will mix more effectively when you put it in on a nearly empty tank.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,752 Posts
I use Techron. We used to use it at the dealer back in 1988 when these cars were new. I use on e big bottle pretty much yearly. I have on several occasions put two bottles in when I was getting bad performance and I did find it to clear things up in a hurry, but maybe it would have worked with 1 bottle. They now sell it by the qt which is much cheaper but requires measuring and a funnel to put it in.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I filled up with Chevron exclusively, got all the Techron needed.
Unfortunately, I would have to drive to another state to get Chevron gas. Next time the tank is close to m/t, I go and get a bottle before I get gas.

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL
131 Posts
I always run non-ethanol premium. Sta-bil gas treatment for winter storage and 1 can of BG44K in the spring. Never tried Techron.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,151 Posts
I used Techron when I first got The PIG and, subsequently, when it was running poorly. I found the "running poorly" problem and The PIG now runs like it has wings.

So....I haven't used Techron in about 4 years. Hard to get here......I got the last 6 pack directly from the Ontario distributor about 5 years ago.

That being said....I haven't looked for it lately.

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,309 Posts
I use Techron in all vehicles and motorbikes and occasionally elsewhere. Maybe two to four times a year, depends on mileage. Just once a year in 4 stroke power equipment. Made a big difference in a Ford Windstar I once had.
Think of it this way, when you want a bubble bath, when do you add the soap: before or after you fill up the tub?
This reminds us of the primary difference between a Catholic nun and a woman in a bubble bath:
The nun has hope in her soul.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts