Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/additives/concentrate_plus.shtml How many people h

• I use Techron

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • I don't use Techron

Votes: 17 33.3%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E, 2002 ML500
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/additives/concentrate_plus.shtml

How many people here use Techron in their cars?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,855 Posts
I used it in my VWs branded under the VW/Audi/Porsche branded Autobahn product line.
BMW and VW/Audi/Porsche still re-brand it for use in their cars.
It is in all Chevron gasoline as part of the detergent additive package.

It does a great job at eliminating intake valve carbon build up if used regularly.

I don't use it now because I have found that running engines well up into revs keeps the carbon off the intake valves and I am a high rev driver.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts

Now ya gotta admit, that first pair of images is suggestive. Or maybe they all are [:I]

And it's a good thing that big oil companies have the money to afford proofreaders (note "compustion") [8D]

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
Perhaps they employ poofreaders?[;)]

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,664 Posts
I've only used Chevron fuel for the past 9 years and will use nothing else. The best fuel IMO !

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,947 Posts
Use techron chevron in the porsche. Does a great job. I have used it in the Benz as well. I would not use anything else on my cars.
Mike

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]

Hey, Banana;

I used Techron or Chevron Premium in many of my previous cars and trucks because the improvement in fuel economy and performance was noticeable. When I got the Benz last year, I gave it a go and could not feel, hear or notice any difference in anything.

Now, I'm running either Shell or Union 76 premium. Could be there's so much ethanol in California gas these days (10%) that Techron doesn't matter, or its the way I drive this car.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
2005 E320 cdi
180 Posts
I've got a question for you guys. In the south-at least until the eighties-many of the oil companies had agreements to fill each others stations. For example the Murphy refinery would supply the exxon stations in city A and the exxon refinery would supply the murphy stations in city B. The dye and additives were allegedly placed in the actual tank truck at the bulk facilty before being sent to the stations. How do you know what gas you are really getting at the pump. Second, the fuel cleaning additives were great but they used to eat up GM carburetor floats-the plastic ones. Hot Rod magazine promoted a water injection system I think manufactured by Holley. The water injection was supposed to prevent detonation and clean carbon deposits. There were even suggestions to drivel water down the intake-not flood the engine-while the engine was running as a cleaning process. What do you think-plausible or urban legend!

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]

Junkman,

I think you're right about bulk suppliers of gas serving every brand in a region. The brand-unique additives go in before delivery to retailers. At least that's what I hear is going on around this part of the USA.

As for water injection, it has been used as a power booster on aircraft engines, but the effect is brief. My understanding of how it works is, the water scavenges heat when it vaporizes; the steam turns the heat into useable power. However, the motor cools quickly, making water injection counter-productive after a few minutes at most. The cleaning effect would be minimal. Pure carbon deposits are incredibly hard. Burning them off works if you don't melt the base metal too.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1978 280CE
68 Posts
I use the BG products 44K about every oil change to dissolve deposits and everything runs great.

john

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I have Chevron exclusively in all of my cars for over 10 years. Once I discovered that they also sell their Techron Concentrate, I started using that as well. I add the larger bottle ( I think 16oz - anyway treats 20 gallons) to my tanks every 3000 miles.

After a recent "B" service at my MB dealer, I noticed that there had been a fuel-additive poured into my tank. I asked the service manager, and he said "it was probably Techron".

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Bg - 44k

jwhughes3 said:
I use the BG products 44K about every oil change to dissolve deposits and everything runs great. john
I have used this too, intermittantly. Then I found a Chevron gas station that also does service and that sells both products. I got 2 different answers from 2 different techs (as to which is better, should I use both etc.)

My Chyrsler mechanic highl recommends the 44K; they sell it and use it at my Chrysler-Jeep dealership.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
I use Chevron Gasoline very regularly.
ALL their grades of petrol have Techron in it.
87/89/93 Octane all have Techron!
Hey did you know that Chevron and Texaco are one now!
All Texaco gasoline has Techron in it now!

I saw that in Houston, Texas and blew me away.
Forgot about the merging.

Anyway;
I use their gasoline and BP Amoco
Occasionally, 3-4 times a year I use the trusted Berryman B-12 Fuel Cleaner.
Wickedly good and powerful.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Hi Charles,

What the original poster was talking about was the Techron Concentrate that comes in a bottle. Their instructions tell you to add it to your fuel tank every 3000 miles. I have been doing that with all of my cars, ever since I discovered it.

The only reason I knew that Chevron and Texaco are now the same company is that my monthly bill said that. I have not seen a Texaco station in my area for a long time. They used to be in Ohio and West Virginia, but all we see now are Chevrons.

I think they should do what BP and Amoco did - change the name of their stations to Chevron-Texaco so there is no confusion.

Welcome to the forum,
Musikmann

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Since Chevron in the mosts expensive gasoline in our area this is the brand I always avoid.
I've been always using the cheapest gasoline I can find, what usually is at independents. Never had a problem with dirty fuel system. The most mileage we put was 176,000 on Volvo, that I remember adding some injector cleaners about 3 times in its life. Replaced fuel filter at 100,000 as a precaution.
When I junked Volvo for cosmetic reasons, the engine was running perfectly.

·
Registered
2003 C32
23 Posts
hrm, when I got my car, the dealer holds monthly new owner orientations where you meet the service staff and receive follow-ups from your sales guy. The service manager said use Chevron only, nothing else.

I've always used Chevron or Shell, all other brands are avoided like the plague. Gotten to a point where I know exactly where the cheapest Chevron/Shell stations are (still a few cents more than any other gas station tho)

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,036 Posts
I always use Shell. I tried 76 once and it didn't seem to run the same.

I've never been able to find any real info on the difference with gas between brands. I'm always skeptical until I see real evidence, but with the Lady, I'm not taking any chances.

It kills me when I see a nice MB or Jag in an Arco station.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 2012 CNG Civic
1,768 Posts
strictly Shell or Chevron for me... plus that bottle of Techtron every 3 - 4000 miles or so.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Prana25 said:
I've never been able to find any real info on the difference with gas between brands. .
There isn't any. All brands swap the basic gasoline between refineries.
Meaning if the Chevron gas station is close to ARCO refinery, the gasoline at this station will come from ARCO. The same ARCO gas station might have gasoline coming from Chevron refinery near by.
Chevron and Shell claims, that they add some detergents to gasoline already in the tankers. Have anybody seen Chevron tank truck on the side of the road and the driver with a bucket on top of it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts