Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'90 500SL 85K kms
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the head unit from my 1990 500SL, it is a Technics model R129. I have tried every removal key I can get my hands on without any luck. Could somebody snap a picture of their Technics removal key so I know which one to concentrate on. I borrow a wire loop of them from a local business and none of them are labeled and some feel promising but I haven't been able to get it to budge.

A brief description of what they did or any special wiggling or how they held their mouth wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 W205 C250D estate, 92 R129 SL500, 2001 C240 wagon
87 Posts
Technics latch photos

Hey PR500, this will help!

I got my dealer to whip mine out so I could see it, then made my own key from a bit of stainless strap I had in my random useful bits of material collection. 1/2" wide.

The photos show the mechanism and location. You do need to push fairly hard as the springs are pretty tough, wriggle the radio a bit too to help. Once you push them both in with them in place you can wiggle the radio out slowly. They don't give a click or anything when they are far enough in, and the extra pressure from the springs makes the radio quite tight, so can be hard to tell when you are far enough in. But once you get a little movement it gets a bit easier.

However I suspect the proper tools are probably quite available & not very expensive from a dealer, and will have a barb to allow you to pull the radio out using the tool rather than lots of wiggling.

Anyway here is what it looks like:
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
E350 Sport
1,459 Posts
crutchfield, about $5 or contact the mfg and they'll probably send you the keys.

when i looked into exchanging the original head with becker, they sent me the keys for removal at n/c but i'm doing an aftermarket clarion, which will come with it's own keys.

·
Registered
1989 W201 2.0L Sportline
1 Posts
Hi Grege I realise your post was some time ago I have just purchased an ex Japan 190e Sportline with the same radio in it. My question is do you slide the release tools under the bottom of the radio where the two shiny metal things are.
Regards Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts