Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, its been ages since i last posted.
First of all, i was wondering if anyone knows like the 0-60mph time of my 500SEC, stock, and the top speed, etc. It would be rather interesting.

Secondly, my car has been having this sort of water flowing noise coming from the rear whenever i start the engine. This has just happened.

Checking my records, i have realised that the previous owner has not changed the timing chain yet, and the car is reaching 180 000km. Is there anyway i can notice or check if it has been changed.

Last of all, Whenever i change my gear from D to N, there will be a bump from the back, and when i change back from N to D, a bump can be felt again. Whats causing this.

Thanks is advance.

·
BenzWorld W140 Host
W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
1,918 Posts
joelsec - 2/27/2005 6:29 AM

Last of all, Whenever i change my gear from D to N, there will be a bump from the back, and when i change back from N to D, a bump can be felt again. Whats causing this.

Thanks is advance.
shifting between D and N or P and D will always give a little bump and P/D to R will always give a slightly bigger jerk.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,173 Posts
Hi joel,

The 'water' sound I imagine would be the fuel pump(s) running.

The idle speed, if too high, will give an exaggerated bump like that, and i agree with the prev. poster as well. How are the flex discs in the driveline?

Chers, MBL

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
joelsec - 2/27/2005 3:29 AM

Hello all, its been ages since i last posted.
First of all, i was wondering if anyone knows like the 0-60mph time of my 500SEC, stock, and the top speed, etc. It would be rather interesting.
Top speed according to my source for a euro 500SEC is 225 KPH or about 135 mph. I have a hunch it would go faster though. I'm assuming a US spec one would be similar. No idea of the 0-60 time but bjust a wild guess would be around 8-9 seconds. These cras aren't geared for quick takeoffs, just high speed cruising. One of these days I'll get a G-tech and see what my SE can do.

John
'80 500se AMG(?)
'80 300sd

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
white 500SE- Oh really? tts interesting. I think soo too! cause i went 220km/h on a hill. Anyway thanks for your help. Btw, i tested my car on a dyno, and it got from 0-100Km/h in 6.7s. I thought it would be even faster if i changed to the lowest gear.

zeaq- yeah i know it does, but mine has a pretty big bump.

MBL87560SEC- heyy thanks. But sorry i dont really know what that is, and my idle is perfect!

thanks for all ur help!

·
Registered
450 SL 1976
222 Posts
As far I'm informed, the 0-100 km/h is 8,1 sec and the topspeed is 225 km/h.

I think the topspeed is an understatement though...

Anyway, it seems the speedometer on my 500sec (and my former 3 merc's) is showing around 10-13 km/h too much; this would be according to other newer vehicles riding along side of me, as well as my GPS (that probably is the most reliable source of the two) - and my tires are 215/55/16, so the diameter is the same as stock-tires...!

Have any of you had that same experience with your speedometers??

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Easiest way to see if your chain has been changed is to pull the passenger side valve cover, look and see if the chain is stamped w/ IWIS on it. If not you can continue to check by taking the car to TDC on cylinder #1. Pull both valve covers and check the timing off the marks in comparision to the harmonic balencer.. that will tell you how many degrees off (retarded) you are.

You can access the crank nut from the bottom if you want to leave the fan etc in..

Jonathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts